Getting settles in

Start from the beginning

Starling groans and lets her shoulders slump. Havoc had mentioned going to school, but Starling assumed her parents would let her skip, especially if they were why Havoc had been up.

"I know it sucks, but there's some attendance law. If you miss one more day of school, they'll send your father and me to jail, and we really don't need the government looking too hard into our documents." Surge takes another sip of her coffee but finds the mug empty.

"Right." Jake had mentioned a little about his family being on the run, but Starling hadn't asked too much about the topic. "In the small chance you do get arrested, how should we deal with that?" Starling asks, hoping there's already not a plan in place that Havoc would know about.

Surge opens her mouth but looks at Starling skeptically, "I'm not going to let you get me talking about this and try and guilt trip me into letting you stay home. Go to sleep."

"But..."

"Good night Amy!" Before Starling can get another word out, Surge opens the door and enters the house. She stands there for a second before scanning the house. There's no indication of where Havoc's room could be. Before Starling can overthink the situation and get stuck arguing with herself about what to do, she turns on her heel and walks to the left side of the house.

She looks up and sees three dark windows. Nothing about them would indicate whose bedroom they are or if they are even bedrooms in the first place. Again Starling keeps herself from overthinking the situation and just decides to check each room one by one. Whichever window opens should lead to Havoc's room. As she lifts her arms to her side, she has to remind herself again that she can't fly, or at least not like how she's used to. Remembering when she and Havoc first fought in the junkyard, she lifted her hands to look at them. It seemed as if Havoc had figured out the flying maneuver for the first time during the battle. It couldn't be too hard if she had been able to figure it out for herself.

Starling locks her arms at her side and turns her hands to be at a ninety-degree angle. She closes her eyes and imagines shock waves shooting out of them. After a second, Starling begins to feel energy pooling in her palms and then a strange sensation of the power flowing out, lifting her off the ground. Starling hovers over the ground, trying to get control of the power and keep the energy flowing out of her hands even so she doesn't tip to one side. After staying stable for a moment or two, she slowly begins to allow more power to flow through her arms, lifting her further off the ground. When Starling reaches the window, she attempts to cut the power but is shot up into the air over the house's roof. She lets out a screech and completely stops the power propelling her upwards. For a second, relief flows through her until she begins plummeting toward the ground.

As she falls, the window flashes in front of her, and she desperately reaches out to grasp onto it. Her hands connect with the sill at the bottom of the window, and she holds on for dear life as her body slams into the house. Starling hangs there for a second, catching her breath before attempting to pull herself up to check if the window is actually Havoc's or if the entire effort was in vain. Before she can reach the window, it flies open, and a head pops out and swings around wildly before turning down to her. Starling looks up and squints her eyes, trying to see the different features of the face above her despite the dark.

"What on earth are you doing, Amy?" Jake's voice calls from above.

"Ummmm..."

"Sharing a wall with you is bad enough, but know you have to prank me in the middle of the night from the window as well. Can you not give me a break!" Starling tries not to let the excitement show on her face when he mentions sharing a wall with Havoc. "I mean, Honestly, what is it? Three in the morning? Couldn't this wai..."