12 • Suspicious

It's the same routine every day: go on a morning walk, lock myself up in my room for the day, and try to go to sleep around eleven. That seems to be all either Mom or I can do around here. Officer Jenkins and Agent Callaway both said they don't want me to go to school, because they think it'd be easier for my stalker to keep tabs on me. I think they are right about that, but I don't agree with flunking my tenth year. I had been a straight A student until now, and I don't want to give that up. Unfortunately, it seems I don't have a choice in the matter. Besides, how am I supposed to concentrate on school when I have someone taunting me every other day?

Each morning, I foolishly look around for the boy, thinking that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to befriend him. Then, perhaps my day will be less depressing and I can actually live the life of a teenager, besides the no school part.

Today, I say to Mom that I want to walk alone, because I'm tired of her looking over her shoulder and not letting me step an inch away from her. I know it's only for my safety, but it does get annoying, and I really don't think my stalker would make a bold move now, considering he's only trying to scare me with flowers.

I can tell she's wary of letting me go, but I end up convincing her that everything is fine, that I can call her if I see or hear anything unusual. Finally, after bickering for five minutes about what could go wrong, she lets me leave.

I give her a kiss on the cheek and grab my jacket, which is hanging on the hook by the door. Before I leave, I give a reassuring nod and a smile. Mom still looks uneasy when I lock the door behind me.

The cool air circles around my body as I walk across the dampened grass. It must have been cold last night, because frost has settled on the sidewalk and foliage. I tuck my hands into my pockets as I glance around, being observant of my surroundings. My fingers stiffen around my phone so that I can yank it out if needed.

The streets are quiet, as they always are at this time of the morning. It seems that Mom and I are always the first ones up and walking around in our neighborhood. I've always been an early riser, which I couldn't say for Laura. She would always be up around eleven on weekends, so I'd be bored for those extra grueling five hours.

As I pass by the park, admiring the scenery, I stop. Someone leans against one of the trees, looking off at the rising sun. I recognize the short hair and baggy sweatshirt and step off of the sidewalk, heading into the freshly cut grass. Don't ask me why I was going to talk to him again, I don't really know myself. As I near him, I can't help but notice how peaceful he looks, like he doesn't have a care in the world. A pang of jealousy grows inside of my chest as I realize how much I have to worry about. For instance, staying alive and keeping my remaining family safe and out of my stalker's reach; something I failed to do while Laura was alive.

"Are you going to say hi, or continue to stand there like I somehow can't see you?" A voice interrupts my thoughts. I jump when I realize it's coming from him.

A light blush fills my cheeks. "Sorry, I was just..."

His eyes meet mine and he pulls himself up from the tree. "It's fine, I was just joking around."

I bite my lip to keep myself from blushing even more. A metallic taste fills my taste buds and I cough. "Sorry...um, how are you?"