"Mhm, Miss Dowling explained to me that there must be, um, a fairy somewhere in my family tree. Some sort of long and dormant magical bloodline," she giggled a little, "How long do you think it will be before I get used to all this? I'm Bloom, by the way!"

"Kara," the girl said, smiling a little as she felt Bloom's delight.

"I'm Aisha," said the other girl who shared the room with Bloom.

Bloom smiled happily and walked out of the room, Kara following her.

"Wait, are you changing?" asked Bloom, she was standing in front of the open door of another room. Kara looked over her shoulders and recognised another fairy, she had long blonde hair, and yes, she really was changing. Kara had heard of her before, when she had arrived she had overheard two girls bragging about how they knew Queen Luna's daughter and then they had shown the bleached blonde the natural blonde without Stella noticing.

"Yes, I am."

"I thought this party was more of a casual thing," Bloom said, looking confusedly at Kara, who shrugged cluelessly.

"It is."

"So a casual thing you're changing for?"

"I've been seen in this outfit before, people expect something different," Stella said, sounding incredibly annoyed.

"You're expected to wear multiple outfits a day?"

"I'm expected to care about my appearance," she said, snapping her fingers. A ball of light appeared, "Anything else?"

"That's magic," Bloom stated, "How exactly did you-?"

"I'm a mentor, not a tutor. You'll learn this on your first day, but I'll explain anyway; fairy magic is closely related to one's emotions. It could be good emotions or bad. Love. Hatred. Fear. But the stronger the emotion, the stronger the magic," Stella said, she had stepped a little closer to Bloom.

"So then, do you hate me or are you afraid of me?" asked Bloom, a small laugh escaping her throat. Stella raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure you don't love me, but do you hate me or are you afraid of me?"

"I don't know you, Bloom, but I'm sure that when I do, I'll find something to love about you."

Kara stepped back into her room. She leaned against the door for a moment with her eyes closed and sighed lightly, then got ready for this so-what party.

*

Everyone was talking about the man who was found dead in the woods earlier. None knew if it was murder or because the man was of a certain age, the age theory coming from Terra. Kara sat in a tight corner on the floor, she had lit a cigarette between her lips and she was listening to the students next to her. This party wasn't really a party, more a gathering of boring people. So she wouldn't bother going in the crowd and socialising with other girls. She had also met her other roommate earlier, her name was Musa and she was too a mind fairy. It was kind of enough 'meeting new potential friends and connecting with them' for this day.

"You shouldn't smoke in here," a boy said. Kara looked up, straight into a grin.

"Who says?" the girl asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, that's what the teachers say and I can promise you that you don't want to hear them giving you a speech about how you shouldn't smoke and certainly not in here. I've heard them complain too many times." The boy sat down next to her, she didn't look at him, her face stayed in the crowd.

"And who are you?"

"My name is Riven, yours?" he asked and he held out two of his fingers.

"I'm Kara," she said, placing her cigarette between his fingers. He took a deep drag and then blew the smoke into the air. He was attractive, but Kara wasn't looking at him.

"So, you're a first year, huh?" he asked. Kara nodded and like him earlier opened two of her fingers, he put the cigarette back and she smoked.

"You're in the second one?" she asked. Now it was he who nodded. "A very powerful specialist!" he said and Kara nodded playfully as she laughed softly.

"Of course," she said and Riven smiled.

"Hey, I'm serious!" his grin fell a little, "So what kind of fairy are you, let me guess ... fire?"

"No, mind," she said and smiled, she looked at the teenagers in front of her as they danced and drank and made out with each other.

"Oh, that must be annoying," Riven said, looking at Kara.

"What do you mean?" she asked, looking him in the eye.

"It means you have to feel other people's feelings all the time, doesn't it? That must be exhausting."

"I mean, I'm not an empath, so I don't feel other people's emotions all the time. I can if I want to, but mostly I don't really like it, I do it because I'm too curious," she explained, "Memory manipulation is more my thing or it was kind of."

"Interesting, interesting," Riven commented, lighting his own cigarette, "I didn't know about any of this."

"What?" asked Kara, looking at him.

"I always thought that mind fairies only felt emotions from others, not that they could do anything more."

"Nah," Kara replied. It was always like that. Humans knew little about the powers of mind fairies, they were underestimated. She didn't hate it, she was underestimated but that didn't mean she was weaker, it was just that no one knew what she could do. Kara blew out the smoke one last time and then stubbed out her cigarette.

"Another?" he asked, holding his pack out to her. She nodded gratefully and pulled one out, slowly putting it between her lips and letting him light it. They sat next to each other, silently watching the other students dance to some pop song, until Kara's mobile vibrated. She looked at it with a quick glance.

musa

blooms missing

we are looking for her, u comin?

omw

"It was nice meeting you, Riven, but I kind of need to help my roommates. You know, bonding and befriending and all that bull. See you any other time?", she asked while getting up.

"For sure", he said smiling a little.

*

They had found her near a wearhouse, where she had stumbled out after Misss Dowling had fought a burned one, a creature that should have been long gone. 

"Are you okay?" asked Aisha after Bloom had stumbled out of the warehouse.

"What was that thing?" she asked, taking a shaky breath.

"I'm pretty sure that was a burned one", Terra said, Kara nodded. They both were still in shock.

"Where's Stella?" asked Bloom.

A flash of violet; Fear.

"Why?" Kara asked suspiciously, "I guess she's at school."

"That thing just took her ring!"