VII

"Why are you here again, Young Master?" Vicross asked exasperatedly at two a.m. Vicross became vigilant to protect his kitchen because his young master frequented it late at night or early in the morning. You can't blame him; Cale nearly burned down the kitchen while preparing grilled duck in a pot. Yes, you read that correctly: in a pot. Cale dismissed it as normal, but with all that smoke from the pot, Vicross did not believe his young master. As a result, Vicross had to guard the kitchen like a dragon guarding his lair.

"Ugh... like father, like son..."

Vicross resisted the urge to scoff at his young Master. While waiting for his master to direct him while cooking, he prepared some treats on his own. Since his Young Master can't wait until morning for breakfast, this is the most promising compromise between them.

"Bring out the barbeque short ribs," Cale says, looking at the poor cracker on his plate.

Vicross casts a glance at his young master. He took a beef short rib that he had previously marinated in salt and pepper. He used onion and cooking wine to tenderize the meat. He was even more surprised to find pears in the marinade as directed by Cale. With precise knife handling, he expertly chopped the fruit, onion, garlic, and ginger. It's a good thing he's already sliced into thin slices because he knows the taste will be fantastic.

"You can broil it right now."

"Broil," he says, dumping the beef into a pan and preheating the oven to broil. He steps on the bellows to raise the temperature. Cale didn't say anything else after that. Vicross sat back and waited for the ribs to become slightly charred and caramelized. He flips the beef over and cooks for a few minutes more, checking to make sure nothing is burnt. It was a unique style of barbeque. He smells the beef before plating it with the rice and vegetable salad he made for breakfast.

It didn't matter any longer if he took a plate and shared food with his Young Master.

It's actually not permitted. Servants are supposed to eat after their masters, but Cale barged into his kitchen in the middle of the night. Nevertheless, he learns some new recipes.

"This is better than I expected..." Cale hums happily as he eats the beef with rice. He even witnessed Cale wrap the poor beef in lettuce and eat it haphazardly. So Vicross had several handkerchiefs on hand.

"I didn't think the Young Master would be back," his father, Ron, said as he entered the kitchen. Vicross was initially chastised not to dine with Cale. Cale, on the other hand, brushes it off and tells Ron that he's not used to eating alone.

Vicross thinks Cale is odd. He is undoubtedly noble, but the way he treats his servants as equals is strange.

"Come on, Ron! You should eat."

He sat down in front of them, ignoring his father's sigh.

"This is quite new."

The dishes introduced by the Young Master are, indeed, novel. He finds it amusing that his ruthless father is interested in this Young Master. Vicross made no comment because his Young Master is indeed intriguing.

This has pretty much become the norm.

[-----]

"Wow. Mother put a lot of thought into it," Cale exclaimed as he gazed at the massive carriage in front of the Castle. There will only be a few knights, butlers, and cooks accompanying them, but the carriages are nothing to sneeze at. He expressed his sentiments that he wanted the envoy to be small.

"Don't ask," Deruth says, sighing. His father disliked these types of carriages, but he had to for formal reasons. "This is why I refuse to become Lord again."