#5. 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠

Start from the beginning

"S...st-stop..."

The air left his lungs at an alarming rate, replaced by thick pitch-black substance. It manifested itself throughout his entire body, burning away at whatever it could. Light gagged as the darkness began to drip into his mouth, the stinging aftertaste as bitter as Bitrex.

"P-please... ju-ust stop..."

"Heh, we just can't get what we want sometimes, can't we Light?"

A new voice roared throughout the abyss with a tone of authority. Silencing the thousands voices in seconds, the new figure slowly but surely made his way to the broken man in front of him one step at a time. Taking a knee, the newcomer held a tight grip on Light's chin, forcing them to finally make eye contact.

If Light could gasp, he would've. In front of him was the same man he once considered a friend, an enemy and a distant memory. The same man who once laid six feet under, only to crawl out of hell with his reborn corpse. The same lifeless body, blindfold and all, was now kneeling beside him like a king to a peasant. Neither of them dared to utter a word as Sabre's smile slowly but surely transformed into his signature grin.

"Missed me yet?" He snickered with a cruel delight at the scene in front of him before dropping the act and shouting into the abyss, "Let em go."

With a simple snap of his fingers, the darkness clotting Light's lungs disappeared almost instantly. As he gasped and cried for air, Sabre stood up and plummeted his foot onto Light's back, making sure to hit him right where it hurt.

"But you're supposed to be dead... I killed you..." Sabre flicked his hand and the darkness began to pin down Light's arms and legs. He took a few steps back before comfortably laying down on his stomach right next to the broken man, kicking his legs into the air like a little child.

"You should've tried harder," Sabre whispered into his ear, "That's what you always told me, right? Such a shame you never took your own words to heart..."

"So what, you just gave up and joined the darkness because I hurt your feelings?" Sabre couldn't help but laugh.

"You can't hurt my feelings! Not anymore!"

"Then what is it?! You don't just do things for no reason— I of all people would know that— but I know joining the darkness isn't a 'you' thing either!"

Sabre didn't need to think this one out. Changing his demeanor almost instantly, he swiftly booped the man's nose, giggling like a kid at the fair. He rolled over onto his back while still maintaining eye contact. Sabre put his hand on Light's chin with one little swoop, staring at him upside down as if his behavior was completely normal. Light could barely tell if his new unpredictability was his peak of insanity.

"I'll let you in on a little secret. I—" he waved his free hand as if he was drawing something in the air "—joined the darkness because I wanted to be just like you!"

"I-I beg your pardon..?"

"You heard me! No matter how much I tried, little ol' me was never good enough for you! You were able to do things I was too powerless to do. So I became an itty bitty copycat! When your workout routine changed, so did mine. When you went on a diet, so did I! And when you got my blood on your hands, I thought I may as well return the favor!"