𝟎𝟒. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐏, Tony stood beside his holographic table working on the computer system. "J.A.R.V.I.S., you up?"

"For you, sir," the AI replied, "always."

"I'd like to open a new project file, index as Mark Two," Tony requested.

"Shall I store this on the Stark Industries Central Database?" J.A.R.V.I.S. asked.

"Actually, I don't know who to trust right now." Tony shook his head and made an alternate suggestion, "'Til further notice, why don't we just keep everything on my private server?"

"Working on a secret project, are we, sir?" J.A.R.V.I.S. asked.

"I don't want this winding up in the wrong hands," Tony replied, "Maybe in mine, it can actually do some good."

Tony quickly lost track of the time as he got to work making the proper modifications to his latest project. The suit was slowly starting to come together, that is if he could get some useful assistance around the workshop.

"Next. Up," Tony instructed, but only continued to grow frustrated as the robot struggled to follow even simple instructions, "Not in the boot, Dummy. Right here. You got me? Stay put. Nice. You're of no benefit at all. Move down to the toe. I got this. Okay, I'm sorry, am I in your way? Up. Screw it. Don't even move. You are a tragedy."

Despite the complications, the boots were finished soon after and ready for their first flight test. The more helpful of the two robots was left in charge of filming while Dummy was responsible for the fire extinguisher.

"Okay, let's do this right. Start mark, half a meter, and back and center. Dummy, look alive. You're on standby for fire safety," Tony reminded the robot before instructing the other, "You, roll it. Okay. Activate hand controls. We're gonna start off nice and easy. We're gonna see if ten percent thrust capacity achieves lift. And three, two, one."

Tony immediately flew backward at a speed he hadn't predicted and hit the upper wall. Despite not being on fire, Dummy used the fire extinguisher on Tony. Tony frowned, but moved past the failure and began to think of an idea to solve the problem. While working on a pair of flight stabilizers to be worn on his hands and arms, Pepper entered the workshop carrying a wrapped box and a concealed cup of presumably coffee.

"Up two." Tony had yet to notice her. "All right, set that."

"I've been buzzing you. Did you hear the intercom?" Pepper asked.

"Yeah, everything's... What?" Tony asked, finally breaking away from the distraction of the flight stabilizers.

"Obadiah and your sisters are upstairs," Pepper informed him.

"Great!" Tony nodded, glancing back at the stabilizers as he thought up another modification to add.

"What would you like me to tell him?" she asked.

"Great." Tony nodded again as he began to fit the stabilizer over his hand. "I'll be right up."

"Okay." Pepper gave him a curious look. "I thought you said you were done making weapons."

"I am," Tony agreed. "This is a flight stabilizer. It's completely harmless."

However, the stabilizer fired off a blast that flung Tony backward, ultimately scaring Pepper.

Tony's eyes widened as he sat up. "I didn't expect that."

After cleaning himself up, Tony left the workshop and climbed the stairs to meet Obadiah playing the piano while Pepper continued to work, seated on the couch. His sisters were in the middle of a hushed conversation, and unsurprisingly, Hollyn had found her way into his stash of liquor. Noticing Tony's appearance, Hollyn lifted her glass as a greeting.