chapter 5

-y/n's pov-
"what!?" tewkesbury exclaimed.
"we need to go to basilwether." enola repeated.
"basilwether?!" I questioned "what on earth is basilwether?"
they both sighed before tewkesbury spoke "my house."
"right, long story short there's people who want to kill tewkesbury so we're going to frame them." enola explained.
"okayyy" I said dragging on the letter 'y' "I have no clue what I'm putting myself into but I'm all up for it"
"good" enola told me "because we're going to need your help."

-time skip-

the motor car rumbled up to basilwether in the gloomy mist that the dark night brought.
"this is a terrible idea, the closer we get, the worse this idea becomes, why are we doing this?" tewkesbury complained.
"unlike most well bred ladies, I was never taught to embroider" enola spoke as we leapt off the motor car, "I never misled wax roses, hemmed handkerchiefs, or strung seashells. I was taught to watch and listen. I was taught to fight. This is what my mother made me for. Trust me.. to find the answers we need."
"you don't know how to embroider?" tewkesbury asked in disbelief.
enola just sighed.
"wait, what even is embroider?!" I asked baffled, this is one of the negatives of not having a mother.
"let's just get to the point, you need to do this, we... are doing this. come on" enola said and we headed up to the house.
slowly we snuck in through the front door.
"where are all the servants?" tewkesbury asked.
"welcome to the future" enola said.
"mother?" tewkesbury called out.
the eery halls of the house were covered with paintings and knights armour, cautiously I followed along after them both.
"what's happening?" tewkesbury wondered.
"they know we're here" enola realised.
suddenly a rifle getting ready to trigger was heard.
"DOWN!" enola shouted and grabbed both me and tewkesbury, pulling us to the floor. the marble vase shattered above us as another gunshot went off.
"RUN!" enola shrieked as she grabbed my hand and pulled me along back to the front door.
"ITS LOCKED!" tewkesbury exclaimed as I tried to twist at the handle.
"BALLS!" I cursed, then another gunshot went off and enola pushed me against the door as the item beside us shattered.
we ran across the hallways, trying our best to avoid bullets.
multiple shots had gone off and many screams had been heard, the man began to reload his gun.
with quick thinking enola threw a shard of marble to the other side of the room, it clunked as it smashed into a knights armour, the man shot at it, waisting a bullet.
"stay here" enola whispered to us before scrambling across the hall.
I sat consumed in fear on the cold, tile flooring, shivering, scared that I was more than likely going to die some point tonight.
but then enola leapt out of the darkness screaming out a battle cry as she jumped onto the man.
they slammed against the walls, enola crashing into them first, giving her the most pain. then the man flipped her onto the floor and began to kick at her stomach, he kicked her in the face, anger boiled inside of me.
"ENOLA!" I yelled but before I could run out to her body which was slowly fading into unconsciousness, tewkesbury grabbed ahold of me. I struggled against his grip but he whispered something in my ear.
(what do you think he whispered 🫢)
just as the man went to shoot her I sprung up and grabbed him from behind, his gun skidding across the floor away from him as I did so.
but he had ahold of me by my neck and he began thumping his fist into my nose until I fell to the floor.
he then turned to tewkesbury who was still sat on the floor shaking in fear, he sprinted up to him and tewkesbury struggled against the man as he tightened the gold chain around his neck.
"TEWKESBURY!" I shrieked as I pulled myself off the floor but before I could make my move on the man, enola had managed to pull of a corkscrew move and the man fell down, his head smashing into the wooden pinecone decoration. I gagged as I heard a smushing noise when his head met with the wooden object.
enola crawled over to the man and demanded at him "who are you working for?" she then shouted out "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?"
"England." The man smirked before life left his eyes and his body went still, he was dead.
from behind footsteps were heard.
"grandmother?" tewkesbury said.
"yes" she answered as enola, tewkesbury and I stood up "I'm afraid so. it seems as if you want a job done, you have to do it yourself."
enola started to approach the old woman.
"no, enola" tewkesbury warned her, "where's my mother?"
the old woman picked up the rifle as she replied "in london, with your uncle, looking for you. they never understood, I'm so sorry my darlings. The future of the country is at stake."
she held the gun up, pointing it at tewkesbury.
"NOOO!" both me and enola yelled but before the bullet made contact with tewkesbury's chest I closed my eyes and leapt in the way. I felt the hard, small metal shape crash into me, I fell to the floor with a thud and the last thing I heard was enola's sobs and screams as I drifted away.

cliff hanger 😱😱