XXVI

San Diego, CA, USA

Kristie wakes me up by literally jumping onto my bed - and, by direct effect, on me - as soon as she got into the room. Since she was travelling from Portland, her plane was arriving early this morning, whereas international flights tend to arrive late at night. Vlatko obviously pairing up together for this training camp, we were on the verge of having our first shared space for years.

Groaning, I just complain:

"Kratch! It's too early for that!"

"You bet your ass it is!" my sister exclaims, bursting into laughter. "Sorry, but big sisters gotta do what big sisters do!"

With that said, she ends up tickling me a little longer, before lying down next to me on the bed - a one-person bed, so it means I had to squeeze into a few inches of space so that we could both hold onto it. She sighs, before grabbing my hand and just waiting for me to speak again.

Rolling my eyes, I just whisper:

"We are not talking about my situation right now - and, as a matter of fact, not for the next few days."

"Oh, come on - I told you everything about my situation with Lucy back in the days. So, tell me, how was it to see Abby again?"

I sigh, beaten.

"It just revived very strong feelings I had been developing for years toward her. Nevertheless, it felt... I don't know, different."

"Different?" Kristie inquires, confused, "how so?"

"I guess I just got used to the idea that she was married and that my chance had passed. She looks happy with Aaron-"

"-you mean it doesn't shock you they literally look like twins?" my sister interrupts, amused.

"- and it's just obvious she is head over heels for him" I finish, ignoring her.

Nodding her head, Kristie then asks:

"What about Putellas?"

Given my gasp of annulment, Kristie probably guessed what I was going to say - although, I said it either way:

"She is getting on my nerves. It's like: one day she's so nice and opens up and everything, and the next she is cold as ice. Like, ever since Abby arrived to Barcelona, she's been so distant it almost felt as if we were on different continents like right now. And when she asked me about why I kissed her-"

"WHAT?" Kristie exclaims, sitting down on the bed, staring at me in awe, "you kissed her?"

Sighing, I just respond:

"Yes. I told you the other day... don't you ever listen to what I have to say?"

"Sorry, I probably got distracted by some cute dogs walking by. So, how was it?"

"... Amazing. I mean, I've never felt anything as strong as what I felt when I kissed her. And, apparently, she felt something, too. But she closed off and just decided nothing would ever happen."

Kristie seems surprised.

"Wow. That's... unexpected."

"Yeah, tell me about it" I let out, annoyed. After longly rolling my eyes in irritation, I just end up adding: "Like, I just don't understand her 'cause she's so contradictory between the words her mouth communicates and the ones her eyes do. It's like two different languages."

"How do you feel now that she's effectively a continent away?" Kristie asks, perceptive.

I shrug.

"Honesty? She's been so distant lately that I don't really feel the difference. But not seeing her for a few days really helps me think about that situation. Like, it's as if I can't just think about things when she's around."