about a girl

tw: violence!!

{"I'll take advantage while
You leave me out to dry"}

★ MITCH★

April 5th

1997

"Lorelai! I know you're in there! Open the fucking door!" A man yells through the thick wood of our front door.

My eyes frantically flick to Harlow's face, both of our eyes bulging out of our heads. We were having a peaceful night after a long day of adventuring, lying on the couch and watching our favorite cartoons. When the first harsh knocks nearly busted down the door, shaking the entire complex, I had paused the television in confusion. We hardly ever have visitors since practically everyone we know lives here with us. I had hoped that whatever was on the other side of the door had left after a couple seconds without knocks, but then they came again. Even harsher the second time.

"What the fuck is that?!" I whisper shouted at Harlow, whose face looked exactly like my own.

She shook her head in confusion before running to the kitchen to grab something to defend herself with. I stayed frozen on the couch, slowly accepting my fate of near death. I wasn't sure if the person was going to start breaking the door down, or if they would leave. Harlow came back into the living room wielding a large knife, and she handed me a frying pan for my own defense. I followed behind her as we slowly tiptoed to the door, hoping to get a glimpse through the peephole at who was on the other side. Just as we reached the small foyer, the person spoke. Well, yelled.

As soon as I heard Lorelais name come from the stranger's mouth, my heart sank in relief that it wasn't a stranger. But the nerves came back as soon as I realized that they KNEW Lorelai, and were extremely angry.

Maybe she's a drug lord and owes this person money.

Harlow seemed to be more at ease, and I questioned why she seemed so calm all of a sudden.

"I think it's her boyfriend." She whispers, replying to the confused look on my face.

"Boyfriend?" I asked in a hushed tone, never having heard that she had one.

"Yeah, she doesn't talk about him much though."

"Can't imagine why." I say sarcastically.

"Lorelai, please...just open the door baby." The man speaks softer from the other side of the door.

I look over towards Harlow, she gives me a questioning look. Behind her I spot Lorelai standing in the doorway to her bedroom. Her eyes are wide and her eyebrows are creased with fear. She spots me staring and her face drops. She keeps a neutral look on her face, but her eyes still hold fear or embarrassment. She nods her head once in assurance, letting me know that it's okay to open the door.

I decide to rip the bandage off and walk straight up to the door. I don't bother looking through the peephole, but I keep the door chain in place as I yank open the door.

On the other side of the door is a blonde man, his fist raised in the air like he was going to knock again. His head snaps up to mine, and his blue eyes carry a darkness to them. He's not a tall dude but his demeanor adds a few inches to him. He has muscular arms, and a mop of blonde hair. His face instantly switches from hopeful to disappointed when he sees me standing in the doorway.

"Who the hell are you?" His tone is defensive, as if I was the one nearly breaking down his door.

"Hi! I'm Mitch...so, you're at about a ten right now and I'm gonna need you at a three before I even think about letting you in. I mean come on man, I've got neighbors." I respond in the nicest tone possible, hoping he will unclench his angry fists and calm down.