forty-eight - results

Before Austin and I go into the drug store we both put on masks, and he pulls his hood up, in hopes that we don't get spotted. We stroll through the aisles, grabbing multiple pregnancy tests, condoms (just in case), and a tub of ice cream per my request. As we get to the checkout, the girl ringing us up asks, "Sorry, but are you Isla Dempsey?"

Shit. "No, sorry," I answer as Austin quickly grabs the bag and we hurry out of the store. Once we're out of the store and continuing the short walk to the hotel I ask Austin, "What if she says something?"

He grabs my hand, squeezing it and looking toward me. "Let's hope she doesn't. Plus rumors go around all the time, people probably won't even believe it."

I lean on him while we still walk, "Yeah, you're right." I try to shake it from my mind and focus on the real question. Is it a rumor or is it true?

Once we get to the hotel, I open two of the pregnancy tests, peeing on them both immediately and set them on the counter. I set a timer and leave them to develop. When I come out of the bathroom, I see Austin sitting on the bed with his head in his hands, clearly frustrated. Quietly, I come up behind him, grabbing his shoulders and massaging them. "I'm sorry babe."

When he realizes I've seen him, he grabs my hand, turning around with a sympathetic look on his face. "No. Don't be sorry. I just need some time to let it sink in that this might actually be happening." He lets out a deep breath and I see the boyish look in his eyes. "I'm not ready to be a dad, Isla."

"I'm not ready for a kid either." I confess as he moves his body so we're sitting facing each other, still holding hands. Sheepishly, I ask, "If I am pregnant, would you be mad if I didn't want to keep it?"

After a moment of thought he replies, "I think I might be sad for a while, but in the end it's 100 percent up to you. Whatever you want."

I lean into him, resting my weight on his chest. "I love you."

"I love you too. No matter what happens."

The two of us lay there for minutes until Austin grabs my ringing phone off the bedside table. I thought it would be the timer going off, but it's a call from my dad. He shoots me a confused look before answering the phone, "Hello?" and putting the phone on speaker.

"Is Isla there?" he asks, hurriedly.

"Yes, she's right here. Is everything okay?" Austin asks, brow furrowed in concern.

"We need to talk to her," my mom's voice sounds over the phone.

"Yeah I'm here. Did something happen?" At this point I'm worried but both of my parents sound fine, so nothing has happened to either of them.

My dad's talking again. "Is it true?"

"Is what true?" I question.

"I'll send you the link," says Mom.

When I get the link I click on it, seeing an article titled: ISLA DEMPSEY & BOYFRIEND AUSTIN BUTLER...EXPECTING?

Shit. That cashier definitely said something.

As I look further I see an image of Austin and I walking back to the hotel with a story.

As I take the time to read it, I mute myself, showing Austin the article.

"Isla Dempsey and her boyfriend, 'Elvis' actor Austin Butler, seen on what seems like an innocent walk. Little did we know, they were just on their way out of Walgreens in Nashville where they supposedly bought multiple pregnancy tests.

Posted on TikTok, user @keylaransom tells about her encounter with the two stars. In the short video she says, "Guys I was just working register at work when Isla Dempsey and Austin Butler came up to the counter. I was freaking out inside but when I asked if she was Isla Dempsey she said "No" so I didn't get a picture or anything. I still don't believe it though. She's like my favorite person of all time."

In the comment section, another user asked what the couple bought and the original creator responded with "pregnancy tests, condoms, and ben & jerrys 🫣."

Seems like the young couple is moving pretty quick, as they were first spotted just over a month ago on what exclusive sources say was their first date. Now a baby!?!"

I stop myself from reading more, and freaking out. Austin and I share a couple worried looks before I unmute the call again, starting with some fake laughter. "You two really believed that article?"

My parents audibly let out breaths of relief.

"We were on our way back from breakfast and I needed Advil. It's insane the things people make up," I say in my best pretend voice. Geez, I might have to steal Austin's job. I'm pretty good at this acting thing.

While my parents are expressing their previous concerns and their current relief, the timer suddenly interrupts the call and Austin cuts my mom off. "Sorry, Ellen, but we've got to be somewhere soon."

"You can't keep talking to your dear old Mom?" She asks, lightheartedly.

"Shit, I forgot about that," I play along. "Sorry guys, gotta go. Love you two." I quickly end the call before they can answer. As I set the phone down, I wrap my hands around Austin again, getting ready for the possible outcome.

He stands up, forcing me to get up with him as we walk hand in hand to the bathroom. "I'm so scared, Aus."

He shares my worry, "Me too, I." As he takes a deep breath he turns the light on, looking at the countertop where the two tests sit. "Babe."

I look at the pregnancy tests to see one line on the first and two lines on the second.

I'm pregnant?

**********

leaving you guys on the edge of your seats hehe