Not so Slowburn

Naruto was being released today, the IV finally being removed from his arm. His ribs are still sore, and he's sporting several new scars, but he's deemed well enough to go home.

    The door to his room opened, revealing....Kakashi, Shino, and Shikamaru. Shino was fidgety, not being a fan of hospitals but definitely wanting to be there for his friend. Shikamaru looks deep in thought, a cute pout on his face, strands of hair slipping from his ponytail. Kakashi was holding a bento box, considering it's almost lunch.

    Shino handed him a small care package, not able to walk him home but wanting to give Naruto the gift. Naruto handed the package to Kakashi before eating his bento, grateful for the lack of hospital food.

    Kakashi looked to Shikamaru, winking,

    "Goodluck kiddo!"

    Then he just...did his little disappearing act.

    Shikamaru's face looked like one of Sasuke's tomatoes, only cuter. Naruto tilted his head at him, wondering what he needs the luck for. Shikamaru cleared his throat, stammering,

    "Well, uhm, I figured you'd want to go for a walk...considering you've been bedridden.."

    Naruto's face lit up like a Christmas tree, grabbing the boys hand and dragging him out of the hospital (after checking out like a responsible patient).

    The sun was out, the rays of light fighting off the cold October afternoon. A cold wind nipped his nose, taking advantage of the situation he decided to nestle closer to his crush for warmth.

    He couldn't see Shika's face, but he can tell from his ears that he's flustered. He chuckled lowly, the other boy is really too cute.

    Hearing the chuckle, Shikamaru decided to play along too; payback. He gently wrapped his arm around the boys waist, pulling him into his side. The red-head squeaked in surprise and embarrassment, the sound absolutely adorable.

    Shikamaru grinned to himself, leading the boy to the old playground they used to play at. On the days they'd skip the academy, they'd just come here and play together. He flushed, remembering the time they got "married" on the swings.

    "Hey Naruto, look at the swings. What does that remind you of?" He asked, curious to know if the shorter boy remembers too.

    Naruto's face turned the same shade as his hair, tripping over his words,

    "Oh, it's from, well, uh, it reminds me from when we got...married..there. You proposed with a shiny rock you found, and I kissed you on the cheek."

    Shikamaru smiled at his purpled-eyed crush, pleased, before rummaging through his pockets.

    He pulled out two necklaces, each containing one half of the stone. One was carved with a sun, the other with a moon. He handed Naruto the one with the moon,

    "You're the sun, I'm the moon, and this way we'll always be together in a sense. We may be way too young to be married, or even think about being that far in a relationship, but I know that I really really like you. You're the light to my shadow, y'know?" He rambled, accidentally using Naruto's verbal tic.

    Naruto clasped the necklace around his neck, tears rolling down his cheeks as a soft, genuine grin softened his face and lightened his violet eyes.

    "I really, really like you too, Shika. I'll be your light if you promise to always be my shadow."

    "Always."
---
    Shikamaru and Naruto stayed at the playground until the sun started to set, cuddling on the bench. Naruto was playing with Shikamaru's hair, braiding it and scattering small violet flowers throughout. The braid wasn't very long, barely touching his shoulders, but Naruto thought Shikamaru looked breathtaking.

    Shikamaru walked him home, giving him a small peck on the cheek, and waiting until he safely walked into his house before heading to the Nara Compound.
---
    As soon as the door shut, Naruto squealed and did a little happy dance, because holy shit Shikamaru likes him back. Kakashi peeked his head around the corner, smiling softly at his son.

    Kakashi's happy to see his kid happy for once, life beating his ass repeatedly, so he decided to celebrate by making some of Naruto's favorite foods for dinner.

    Mixed yakisoba, gyoza, pickled eggplant and sweet peppers, and wave-style pork. Setting the table, he grabbed some melon juice from the fridge, knowing that it's Naruto's all-time favorite drink.

    They blessed their food and dug in, the ninken enjoying their meal as well, making small talk.

    "Oh! Dad, Shikamaru likes me back! We went on a date...I think it was a date? I'm gonna call it a date. We went to the park where we got "married" as kids! He even kept the rock he "proposed" with and turned them into necklaces! How cute is that?" Naruto gushed, smiling as he talked animatedly.

    Kakashi grinned, already knowing most of that, but proud that his son felt comfortable enough to talk to him about relationships.

    "That's really cute, I wish Obito was like that. But nooooooo, he called me an idiot and told me to either date him or fuck off." Kakashi said, chuckling sadly.

    Naruto smiled, his dad being vulnerable was rare, and hugged him. Sure, he wishes he could meet his pops, but being a shinobi is dangerous. He knows that his pops is watching over them, doing his best to keep them safe.

    How right he is.
---

A//N: Just a short, fluffy chapter to tide y'all over until the next one drops! As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and good luck ;).
-Viri