two

"Shit."

A loud thud sounds as my shoulder plummets into the wall, my own high heeled feet tripping over themselves.

"Fuck this."

I knew it hadn't been the wildest choice to venture so far out in heels that looked this good. The good ones always hurt. Everybody knew that. And yet I had refused to listen to myself. Yet again.

I blink, my lids feeling extremely heavy. I repeat the action again until that annoying haze rids itself from my vision. My hand grips the wall for dear life as I attempt to make my way down the corridor of a home I should not have come to.

I felt extremely confident in knowing that my university ballet class was not one filled with the nicest of people. Though, when Imogen— somebody who was definitely not my friend— invited the entire class to attend her We've-Finished-Our-Recital party, I should have known not to go. Obviously I hadn't listened.

Though my thought process had been this— since she'd done this exact thing many times before and I'd declined each of them, and since Jade, my sort of so called friend, more like the only civil person I got along with from the class, was wanting to go, I'd assumed going to at least one out of the whole year with her couldn't hurt. We'd be a team. In it together.

My palm continues to slide against the wall as I walk down the corridor, nearing the telephone that is stuck to the wall in the kitchen. Once in front of it, I attempt to straighten my shoulders back, definitely in the depths of thought. I needed to get home and I needed to get home fast. Quickly. Because it wasn't only the ballet class attending tonight, there were a fuck tonne of people who I knew definitely did not go to my university. Faces I hadn't seen before.

And to top it all off, Jade had gone completely incognito after she'd signalled to me from across the dance floor that she was leaving with a guy. A guy who was definitely not from our class. And when I'd high tailed it outside to make sure she knew what she was doing, or about to do, or to see if she would come back for us to then go home, she had already fled from the premises. The only thing telling me so, was the rear of a speedy vehicle furthering away from my eyes.

I'd sulked my way inside, head tipsy, vision and body buzzing. Only to then be eye to eye with a bag of snow held within the fingers of a man I did not want to be making eye contact with. "Some blow for the pretty girl?" He'd smirked, definitely trying to hint towards something I refused to pick up on. My lips had turned into a frown as I quickly murmured a, "Thanks, but I'm good." And I'd weaved my way around him, and the swarm of people, like a snake trying to make its way through untouched grass and weeds.

So, not only had they started to bring out the plastic slips with coke. But there were also two guys that would not leave me the hell alone.

One wasn't getting the message that I wanted him to back the fuck off. The other was obsessed with the Filthy Freaks, wanting me to talk to my dad to get him a spot as prospect. Both boys were equally as mind numbingly painful as each other and I had gotten to the point of having too much alcohol that my mind wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed anymore.

Sonnet was out. My parents weren't an option. My brother it was.

I yank the telephone off the hook, letting it rest against my ear as I blink a couple more times to properly see the pad of numbers. Surprised that I still remembered his number correctly, I poke them in and become amused at the sound of the dial tone.

The leather dress I had chosen to wear was now the most uncomfortable thing I'd ever known. Not only was it stuck to me. But I swear it only hiked up higher and higher each time I moved, and I could have sworn it hadn't done that when I'd first put it on. My hair was laced with a mixture of cold nighttime air, sweat, and probably the sea salt spray I'd used after I'd gotten out of the shower only hours prior to being here.