Chapter 1: The Awakening

Somehow, Gohan survived in his final stand against the androids. Whether if it's by the will of Kami, or pure concentrated luck, he lived. He's beaten, broken, when Trunks found him he thought that he was dead and in his grief he finally went Super Saiyan. Of course, when he took a minute to really try and feel his Ki, he discovered that Gohan was very much alive, but, he was in a coma.

After, Trunks tries to take down the androids and obviously fails. But, once Trunks finally recovers and Bulma completes the time machine, Trunks is finally ready to go back in time, in fact, he's in the time machine when Bulma gets the alert.

Gohan's awake

Trunks and Bulma run over to the recovery branch as fast as they can. Gohan is up and worried. He's terrified. After the two of them try and calm Gohan, Trunks and Bulma give him the biggest hug. Gohan takes a good look at Trunks

Gohan, tearing up: "You've... you've gotten so big!"

After everyone has their tearful reunion, Bulma fills Gohan in on the plans.

Bulma: "...and now we're about to send Trunks to the future to give your father the cure to his heart virus"

Gohan: "and you think that's going to work?

Trunks: "hopefully"

Gohan: "Okay, I'll go, are we still going to when my father got back from the Yardrats to fight Frieza?"

Bulma: "Ummm Trunks is going. Not you. You literally just got up, you shouldn't be moving around like this"

Gohan: "Bulma, with all due respect, do you honestly think Trunks should be going over there to beat Frieza? He could barely match me in my base form. I need to give him a lot more training before he can match Frieza."

Trunks: "But, Mr. Gohan, I'm stronger now. I can even go Super Saiyan!"

Gohan takes a pause. Trunks can already go Super Saiyan? He didn't notice at first but Trunks' ki definitely feels like Vegeta's after he learned how to go Super Saiyan. It's not an unreasonable conclusion that Trunks figured out how to go Super Saiyan by himself. Then, Gohan felt queasy. He realized...

Trunks probably went Super Saiyan when he died

Gohan was horrified. He was pissed. Once again, because of the Androids, somebody he loves has had to suffer. He was angry at himself  for even training Trunks. He was no better than his father. He hated himself for allowing the past to repeat itself. He thought he was better than this. He wanted to be better than all of this. He's no better than his father, forcing him to train under who knows who and then leaving because he thought it would be a good idea. He was a failure. No time to think about all of this. Trunks has become his own man because of Gohan's failure and that's just how the cookie crumbled. He'd better see if Trunks is capable of taking on Frieza at his current level.

Trunks: "Mr. Gohan, are you okay?"

Gohan: "Go outside. I'm sparring you"

Bulma, trying to hold Gohan back: "Dammit, Gohan, you just recovered. You can't go out fighting"

Gohan, looking at Bulma with a look of determination: "Bulma, I almost died. I'm stronger than ever due to the Zenkai Boost. Hell, I could probably even beat the androids at this rate. Now put your hand the hell off of my shoulder."

Bulma takes her hand off of Gohan's shoulder. She's scared. She's remembering how Goku was when King Piccolo killed Krillin. She knows that Gohan is just scared and overreacting. She doesn't blame him for that. She completely gets it. She remembered almost going in guns blazing full kamikaze when her baby boy came back beaten and broken because of those damned androids. But she realizes that she's probably going to have to be the one to teach Gohan how to deal with these feelings. The only problem is will Gohan accept it? She figures probably. But she's going to be subtle just in case

Trunks was afraid, too. He'd never seen his master be that angry. Was Gohan going to be this bitter forever?

Bulma, sounding concerned after Trunks has left the room: Gohan, I get that you're angry you weren't there. But, it's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. You're beginning to look like Go-"

Gohan, turning on Super Saiyan out of rage: "Don't you dare finish that name."

Bulma: "..."

Gohan turning his Super Saiyan back off: "You're right, Bulma. I know you are. But I failed your son, I failed you. Just let me be bitter for a little bit. When those androids are dead. I'll try my best to mellow out."

Gohan lets out an exhausted smile. Yet, it still has the same warmth as his father's

"Don't worry! Everything's going to get better."