Natalia

Natalia watched out the window. He was thirty minutes late, and she was getting antsy. Had he stood her up? Or maybe he got stuck somewhere. Either way, she had no way of calling him and checking on his whereabouts. Natalia didn't even know if he had a phone. Half the time he ran around as a wolf and most of the other half, he was naked. Natalia snapped her mind away from wondering where he would keep a phone in that scenario.

She paced back and forth in front of the windows overlooking the drive. There was nothing but trees and grass surrounding the circular gravel driveway. A few feet away was the building with the big glass doors leading into the main research center.

Their living quarters were tucked off to the side. Each researcher had a room with a private bath, but the rest of the living areas were communal. They had a kitchen for cooking meals, a small book nook, a lounge area, a game room, and a living room.

"Waiting for someone?" Margo asked from behind her.

Natalia screamed and swung around, placing her hand on her chest to stop herself from hyperventilating. "Do not do that to me," she said, pausing between every word for effect.

Margo laughed, joining her at the window. "I was hardly being quiet. By the way you're dressed, casual but sexy, touch of makeup but comfortable shoes," she said, giving Natalia a long look, "you want to impress someone without making it seem like you want to impress them."

Blushing, Natalia glanced down. Margo was right. Natalia had put together a simple outfit that she could easily move around in, but still looked good doing it. It comprised a black tank top that hugged her breasts, a pair of dark-wash jeans, and boots with just a touch of heel on them. "What's wrong with that?"

Margo rolled her eyes. "Nothing, except it doesn't scream 'come fuck me'. I bet you're hoping to meet a guy tonight who wants to go home with you and make mad, passionate love all night."

Natalia's mouth dropped open. "Oh god, I'm just going to pretend those words were never uttered from your lips."

Margo laughed, moving the curtains out of the way so she could also see out. Just when Natalia was about to give up and throw on some lounge pants, car headlights swung into the driveway.

"Holy crap, who is picking you up?" Margo squeaked, her eyes wide. "Those off-roaders are like tanks, but with the luxury of a private cruiser. Who is that?"

"Of course he drives a car like that," Natalia groaned under her breath. She grabbed the curtain and pulled it shut, hiding the SUV from view. "I don't know. I've never seen him before. You should go to bed."

"Nope, not happening. I need to see this. You haven't had a date in like..." Margo paused, making a show of counting numbers on her fingers. "Yeah, I don't have enough fingers."

Natalia gave a short laugh. "Margo, please. I'm begging you. Go to bed."

Margo shook her head, refusing to move away from the window. "No, I mean really. How often does someone pick you up in a super fancy off-roader like that?"

Natalia sighed and let the chips fall where they may. She moved over to give Margo some room as the jeep came to a halt a dozen feet away from the front door.

Leaning closer to the glass, shading her eyes from the glare of the inside lights, she gasped. "Nat, that's the warg! What the hell is he doing here?"

A man stepped out of the vehicle, and Natalia felt her heart skip a beat. Her first thought was how incredibly gorgeous he was. His hair was combed away from his face, giving a much better view of his strong jawline, covered in a day's stubble.

Grant wasn't dressed in anything out of the ordinary, but the way his jeans molded to his tight ass and muscular thighs made her feel giddy. His tight collarless shirt, with just the three buttons, two unhooked, highlighted the chiseled muscles along his neck and shoulders.

Walking around to the back of the jeep, Grant pushed his sleeves higher on his forearms and opened the trunk. He rooted around for several seconds before closing it again and making his way to the front door, holding a brown package in his hand.

"Nat. What the hell are you thinking? Are you going on a date with him now? He's dangerous!" Margo hissed, pulling on her arm even as Grant knocked on the door.

"He's not dangerous, Margo!" Natalia whispered back. "At least not to me." She winked at her friend and went to answer the door.

"You're late!" she exclaimed, after opening it.

The man standing there gave her a crooked smile, taking in her appearance. "In my defense, it takes a lot longer to get here when you can't cut through the forest."

"Mmhm," Natalia hummed, stepping aside so Grant could enter the house. He stepped inside, having to duck slightly to clear the doorframe. "This is Margo. Boss, friend, I don't know. When you live together long enough, the lines start to blur."

Grant held his hand out to shake Margo's, which she accepted. "Hi. Nice to meet you, finally."

"Likewise," Margo replied with a smile. "I've heard a lot about you."

"Really."

Natalia wanted to wipe that stupid grin off his face. "Not that much," she grumbled under her breath. "You ready to go?"

Grant nodded, then held the package out to Margo. "Nat told me it's your birthday tomorrow and that you've been looking for pork belly?"

"Yes, I have," Margo answered. Her eyes lit up as she took the parcel from him. "Is this what I think it is?" Margo's mouth dropped open as she unwrapped the package, revealing several thick cuts of meat. "This is crazy. Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Grant chuckled, moving towards Natalia. "I hope you'll enjoy it. Happy Birthday."

The butterflies in her stomach took off when Grant placed a hand on her upper back, guiding her towards the door.

"Be careful," Margo called after them.

"I'll have her home safe and sound in a few hours," Grant promised.

"I'm not talking to you," Margo said, shutting the door behind him.

Natalia let him lead her to the jeep and waited as he opened the door for her. She climbed into the passenger seat, turning to him before sitting down. Standing on the bar, she was an inch or two taller than him. It was disconcerting being so close to such a big man. The smell of soap and cologne mixed with his own individual scent was intoxicating.

Resisting the urge to wrap her arms around his shoulders and press her lips against his, Natalia took a deep breath instead. "Don't mind her. She can be more protective than my mother sometimes."

"Don't worry, gnat. I'm used to it. I really am."

"And here I thought you were going to start pronouncing my name correctly," she sighed, dramatically falling into the passenger seat.

His chuckle made her body flush. "And deny you the aggravation? Never!"

Grant closed the door and said something she couldn't make out.