Chapter 16

TW: Abuse

It was the day of the wedding. The world outside the windows was illuminated by the sun, blessed with the scent of a world washed clean by the rain of the night before and the scent of the flowers as they blossomed in the venue with the help of a little magic. 

Y/N was sitting at her vanity, staring at herself in the mirror as servants curled and twisted her hair into an elaborate pinup. It wasn't what she wished to do with her hair. Her mother had ordered this, and Aloren wasn't around to put his foot down. Though Y/N had tried to fight against her mother, telling her that this wasn't what she wanted, her mother had ignored her, and with a few simple spells, she had glued Y/N to her seat and was now watching from the back of the room, a coy smirk on her face.

"Miss, could you turn your head to the side for a moment," one of the little servant girls asked. She waved a comb, indicating that she needed to brush out another strand of Y/N's hair.

Y/N's mother's voice cut through the air like a knife, startling the servants. Y/N winced as one of them accidentally pressed the curler to the back of her neck, searing the skin. But Y/N kept her poise about her. The last thing she needed was for these poor girls to suffer more than they already were. 

"You shall address my daughter by her proper title," the woman hissed, marching out of the shadows and seizing the servant girl by the wrist. "You shall call her Lady Y/N or My lady. She is not some common peasant."

Y/N scoffed. "Mother. Stop it. You're being ridiculous."

"I am not, and you will hold your tongue, young lady. Just because today is your wedding day, doesn't mean that you are free of me yet. Even once you are married to the sorry man, I shall still control every move you make."

Y/N gritted her teeth and writhed against the magical glue. "No, I won't." She glared at her mother through the mirror. "My future mother and father have seen to that. You won't have any power on this island, and I shall never see you again after today. You will no longer be a part of my life." 

Y/N's mother hadn't missed how Y/N had referred to Aloren's parents as her mother and father. 

"They are your in-laws," the fae woman hissed. She grabbed the arms of Y/N's chair and spun her around, her nails digging into the wood as she sneered at Y/N. "I am your mother."

"You might have conceived me, but you never have been, nor will you ever be my mother. I am willing to see Father, but you shall never see me again after this day. I have already spoken with Aloren, and you shall be banned from setting foot on this island once the moon rises on the horizon."

"You wicked child! Everything I have done was solely for you, and this is how you thank me? By casting me out of your life and informing me that you have replaced me with a simple human!"

"She cares for me as you never did! To you, I'm just a pawn for you to use!"

"Yes." Venom dripped from every sound her mother made. "Yes. You are a pawn for me to use as I see fit. Because you are my daughter, and without me, you are nothing." She grabbed a strand of Y/N's hair and pulled it, making the young girl cry out in pain. She wanted to lift her hand and massage the part of her scalp, but as her mother continued to pull on the strand, she was forced to sit there and endure it. 

"If not for this marriage, I would consider you to be absolutely useless. You have been nothing but a thorn in my side since the moment I conceived you. You insist on making my life difficult and-" The woman's eyes suddenly went wild and she gripped Y/N's chin, her nails digging into the flesh as she jerked her daughter's face to the side. Y/N whimpered at the pressure, and a tear appeared in the corner of her eye.