Chapter Thirty-Eight

Zacznij od początku

"I'm a Metamorphmagus, just like Tonks," Adam adds, then all eyes fall on me.

"I'm a Legilimens," I put simply. "It's just something that comes naturally to me and I don't intentionally do it."

-The Train Station-

All of us are making our way to the wall that gets us to the platform, walking across the bridge above the trains.

Skipping merrily along the path to the Hogwarts Express, a smile rests on my face when a black dog walks beside Alaster. I pet Sirius' head as he leans into my hand.

"Padfoot, are you barking mad?" The Auror asks, making me chuckle. "You'll blow the entire operation."

Sirius enters a room, a silhouette of Sirius' dog form becoming human as he wraps a robe around his body. Harry goes in with him.

"Remember, Chaos: use all of your training if necessary. Remember what we've taught you, and be careful."

"You worried about me, Alaster?" I tease, looking up at him with a smirk.

"Maybe. You're a kid, I'm not letting you die for the Chosen One."

"I'm... glad you agree with me."

"Are you ready to go," Eclipse asks, jogging over to us.

"I can't believe I have to go to school without you. And you'll have to be in a long-distance relationship with Georgie."

"We know. But we'll make it work. We'll find a way."

"I know you will."

I embrace her in a quick hug before nodding at Alaster and heading off to Nine and Ten.

-Hogsmeade Station-

Getting off the train, I walk on Ron's left along with the trio, hands shoved into my pockets.

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free Pottah. Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it," Draco sneers, Harry thrusting his body forwards.

Ron quickly takes a hold of Harry's arms, pulling him back before he hurts Draco or himself.

"What'd I tell you? Complete nutter."

"Just stay away from me!" Harry screams, panting like a dog.

"It's only Malfoy," Ron says. "What'd you expect?"

I shake my head at Draco's antics before we get to the carriages, a carriage riding away with Cho in it, her staring at Harry as he looks at her too.

"Hi guys," Neville calls, a cactus-looking plant cradled in his arms.

"Neville!" I hug his neck, smiling as I pull away.

"Hey, Neville," the trio greet.

"What is it?" Harry asks, the rest of us turning to face a carriage.

"What's what?" Ron asks.

"That. Pulling the carriage."

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry. It's pulling itself like always," Hermione answers, confusion laced in her voice.

I stroke the beautiful Thestral before I sit in the carriage on the same side as my cousin Luna Lovegood, a Ravenclaw.

"You're not going mad. I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am," Luna says, pulling the paper that she's reading down.

The other four soon follow, Ron sitting between me and my cousin as Harry, Hermione and Neville sit opposite us.

Ron shuffles himself towards me a little, his eyes shifting from Luna to me and back again. Just as I open my mouth to introduce her, Hermione beats me to it.

"Everyone this is Loony Love..." I furrow my eyebrows, "Luna Lovegood."

"I'd appreciate it if you'd keep that opinion to yourself, Hermione," I scold, turning to my cousin right after. "Hey, Luna," I call, smiling and waving at her as I lean forwards to see her properly.

"Hi, Cass. What a beautiful necklace, I haven't really noticed it before. Is it the Golden Snitch?"

"Yeah, but silver. Thanks."

"You guys know each other?" Harry questions, my gaze twisting to him.

"Well, of course we know each other," Luna voices.

"She's my cousin."

"Oh, but by marriage. Personally we don't see the difference."

"Cousins?"

"See, my dad's sister married Luna's dad's brother, so we're related. So I'd appreciate it if people didn't call her 'Loony'." I glare at Hermione, who sinks a little in her seat.

There's a small awkward silence for everyone but Luna and I in the carriage before Hermione speaks up.

"What an interesting necklace."

"It's a charm actually. Keeps away the nargles," Luna explains, leaning towards Neville.

Neville shrinks in his seat in an attempt to avoid Luna before she sits upright.

"Hungry. I hope there's pudding."

"Ooh, or cake!" I say, sitting up in my seat.

"What's a nargle?" Ron whispers.

"No idea," Hermione replies.

-The Great Hall-

A small tear escapes my eye as my head is leaning against my arms, resting on the Hufflepuff table for the feast.

"Good evening, children." I lift my head, quickly wiping away the tear. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck. As usual, now, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you-" Professor Umbridge coughs, Dumbledore turning to her.

She stands and heads towards Dumbledore, standing in front of him in a horribly-pink, short dress, looking like a flamingo.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."
Why are they staring at me like that?

"That's likely," the twin carrot-heads say, my hand stifling a laugh.

Professor Umbridge stares at the boys for a few moments before turning to the hall again.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school..."

She twists her head to look at Dumbledore, who nods his head at her, a smile on his lips.

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be... prohibited," she goes on, her shoulders rising at the last word, which comes out as a whisper.

Her laugh sounds quite shrill and annoying really, her smile irritating me for no apparent reason.

I can already tell this is going to be one hell of a year.

Dumbledore claps for the new teacher, the rest of the hall slowly following his actions as Umbridge sits back in her seat.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating. Now, as I was saying Mr Filch would like me to remind you that magic is forbidden in the corridors..."