Back To The Lonely Mountain

Start from the beginning

Bard stepped onto the barge and held his hand out to help me board the boat. With a bit of stumbling I managed to get on and Bilbo came on not long after me. Luckily, we came a lot more prepared this time. Bilbo and I brought jackets so we were able to wrap up in them as he sailed across the lake. For every gust of wind a new shiver ran up my spine. My hands felt numb and the tip of my nose was sore. I wrapped my coat right around me and I watched the ripples of the water as we sailed off. I forgot how freezing this lake was.

——————

There it was. The Lonley Mountain. Erebor.
It wasn't long until we reached the mountain. We passed Lake-Town, and went straight to the mountain. I looked up the mountain. The wall had been rebuilt and it seemed plants have been grown along the mountain, vines strangled every crack of the mountain walls and for the first time, I saw sign of life within the mountain. I could only imagine how grand the inside was.

"I believe this is your destination." Bard said helping me and Bilbo off the boat. "Thank you." Bilbo thanked Bard as I wondered off. The mountain was even more beautiful than I remembered, before and during the war there was no time for decorating or building so it didn't look the prettiest, especially when the wall was knocked down. But now, it was breathtaking. So much history, traditions, dwarvish stories and hundreds of generations lived and died under this mountain.

I finally made it to the gate and smiled at the people in front of me. The company were all lined up with smiles on their faces. Ori was bouncing up and down on his heels and Dwalin was smiling with his arms crossed. I stood in front of the company with a smile.

"We're here!" I jogged over to the company and hugged them all individually. Their faces lit up when I wrapped my arms around them. Bilbo greeted them with a smaller hug, but it still brought a smile to their face. It had only been less than a month since I last saw but it's felt like all eternity. I hugged Gloin, the last person in the line, to realise we were missing someone.

"Where's Kili?" I asked. They all looked to each other and shrugged. Odd. "Okay. Well, i'm gonna go find him. Where did you last see him?"
"I think I last saw him by the bed chambers, I think he was outside his own," Dori pointed out "Go up the stairs twice and take a left and you will be at the bed chambers. The royal chambers are the larger ones with the bigger doors."

"Okay, thank you. It feels amazing to see you all again." I waved as I walked around them."Bye!", "Bye (Y/N)!" The dwarves called out as I walked into the mountain. The last thing I could hear from the company was them welcoming their burglar friend.

I was taken back by the mountain. Everything had been fixed, cracks in the walls have been filled in, loads of dwarves where running around doing orders not taking notice of me as I walked past and straight though the mountain. The concrete floors with a deep emerald shade was polished and candles were lit on top of other decorations throughout the mountain. It looked almost unrecognizable.

After a lot of searching and asking for directions I finally found the bed chambers and now I just had to find Kili. There were three doors that were wooden and much larger than everyone else's. The one in the middle was the largest, that must have been the kings and the two on either side must be the prince's. I took a lucky guess and grabbed the handle of the left door. Just as I turned the knob and a quiet groaning followed by swear words being muttered under someone's breath. I cupped my ear and pressed it against the door. I was sure that was Kili. He seemed to be frustrated at something.

Slowly, and quietly, I turned the knob. I was met with wood everywhere, a large wooden bed, wooden wardrobes, wooden drawers, red carpets, lit candles and a long mirror. I was at an angle where I was behind Kili, but a bit to the side so I couldn't be seen in the mirror. He was in one of his best tunics, I've never seen him in a tunic like this before. He looked very handsome.

His  beautiful, wavy mess of hair that I love was thrown up into a perfect man bun which clicked something in my brain. He was trying to button some buttons on the tunicbut he groaned every time he got it wrong, I could tell he had been doing this for a long time. Eventually, he gave up. He sighed and placed a hand on his hip and the other brushed through his short stubble.

He looked back up at the mirror and his eyes slightly widened, I could be seen behind him and it gave him a bit of a fright. He spun around wide-eyed. "You scared me!" He said. "I'm a bit concerned that I'm what you find most frightening." I said grinning. "Hey, you can be scary if you want to," A playful grin widened across his face "I know how you can snap at me."

I rolled my eyes, the smile still plastered on my face."Hi Kili."
"Hi (Y/N)." He strode over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, he buried his face in the crook of my neck and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He squeezed me right, I let out a whimper when he squeezed me too tight, once he noticed he immediately stopped and pulled away. Still holding onto me he looked into my eyes.

"God, i've missed you so much. You have no idea."
He placed a strong kiss on my lips, I could feel his smile on the kiss. "I've missed you too, all of you. Supper has been really quiet back at home."
Kili lightly chucked and walked away. He walked over to the mirror to have yet another attempt, when he failed once again he groaned.

"I give up! This is impossible! Is it too much to ask to look nice when my fiancé returns?" He said.
"Hey. I don't care how you look, you could have crawled out of bed and I would still think you are the most handsome dwarf ever." I smiled as I walked over to him and helping him do the buttons up, i don't know what these were made of but these are hard. Nothing I cant do. After all, i'm very good with buttons.

Kili watched my every movement as I helped him "And you said I had no charm." He grinned which I mirrored as I eyed up at him. Once I finished it I put a hand on his chest and looked up at him. We both smiled at each other and butterflies fluttered in my stomach. It feels good to be back.

"There was actually a reason I dressed up tonight. Theres something quite important i want to ask you." He said. He held my hand and guided it us to the bed. He sat down at the foot of the bed, I sat next to him with my legs crossed. He looked a bit nervous about the question, that made me anxious.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. "Oh, yes! Yes, everything's fine. I was just thinking..." He looked at the window behind me and then back to me "Well, I was thinking, that because we are getting married- now you don't have to do this it's just an idea, you don't have to do do it but-"

"Kili," I stopped him "Just tell me." He sighed and braced himself for the question. "I was wondering if, because we are getting married...that you would like to move into the mountain, with me? Now, I know it's a lot to ask for you to leave your home and Bilbo but I thought it would be much more convenient instead of you constantly traveling over Middle Earth."

I didn't answer him. I had a feeling this question would come up. I knew my answer, of course I would love to move in but, could I leave home for good? Kili was staring at me with worry in his eyes. I know this was going to happen and I'm happy it has. I would love to move in with Kili and stay in Erebor, it's what i've been waiting for. I'm going to be with Kili for the rest of my life and i'm going to be happy. Sometimes to be happy, things have to change.

"Okay. I would love to do it it." I said with a smile on my face. He sighed in relief and returned the smile. "Oh, thank God." He pulled me towards him and braced me in a long hug. He kissed my head and held me tight. I smiled in the hug and I could feel my cheeks blooming a light pink.

We pulled away from each other, our hands were still entwined. "Can you help me tell my father? He's just a bit upset that things are changing, this will be hard from him. He hates change, quality of a hobbit I suppose."
"Of course I will. And don't worry, he only wants what's best for you, even I know that."
"Your right, it'll be fine." He squeezed my hand tighter and stood up. "Come on, lets go. Supper will be ready." Kili said.

I stood up but grinned. "Now hang on, I think I missed a few buttons-" I joked. "No. Screw the buttons, it's fine. Now, come on."
I laughed as we walked out of his bedchamber and went to look for the company.