Chapter 1 - Green Eyes

Start from the beginning

Wariness was immediately replaced by something else as a lick of heat crept over my skin. I couldn't look away. Couldn't ignore the way his black T-shirt hugged layers of muscle, doing nothing to hide the sleeves of colorful tattoos flowing over his golden forearms, along his biceps, before disappearing beneath the fabric. Piercings lined his ears. There was a bar in his left eyebrow. And oh, God, he even had a ring in his septum.

Since when did I have a thing for piercings?!

My gaze finally landed on his hair and my stomach dropped low. It was black, long, falling just past his shoulders, but shaved clean on one side with artful tribal designs patterning his scalp. How could anyone be so terrifying and enticing simultaneously? Everything in me screamed, Look away, Elle! Look the fuck away! But my body betrayed me completely.

His magnetic green eyes dragged me back. The setting sun threw his features into sharp relief, showing off an angled chin, a broad jaw, and cheekbones sharp enough to cut. Beautiful—absolutely beautiful. I could practically taste him on my lips, like a heavy Cabernet Sauvignon twined with rich chocolate. Sinful and delightful and so fucking memorable.

Even in my line of work, I'd never seen anyone like him, with the power to stroke my insides at a distance, dragging invisible fingers over every sensitive part of me. His lips pulled up at one corner, just a twitch, like he knew exactly what I was doing—what I was thinking. I shivered, forcing myself to blink, breaking the spell. Time settled back onto its axis. That single blink was all it took. Every blood cell in my body dropped to my feet. I went completely still as a translucent image wavered over his body, settling into place. Ears elongated into sharp points, one of them peaking out beneath his long hair, now shot through with strands of deep green. Additional piercings appeared, his skin turned the color of brushed aluminum and his eyes...they turned completely black.

My stomach hardened into a rock.

His twitching mouth widened into a knowing smile. Pointed teeth appeared. I shuddered, then I blinked again and the image was gone, pointed teeth and all. Alarm bells went wild in my mind.

I jerked my gaze away, turning my head fast enough that my neck twinged. Forcing my legs to move, I inched closer to the drinks counter, fixing my gaze on the barista. I focused on his efficient movements.

Not human...

My hand flew to the charm pendant dangling from my neck. I untangled it from the other necklace I wore, a coin sized medallion, and began zipping it along its chain. Had I been too obvious? Would he know what I'd seen? That I'd seen through his glamor?

My eyes darted over everything in view, chaotic, unable to settle.

Exhaling, I forced myself to tune in to my surroundings, the smell of coffee, the sound of the grinder, the background jazz music, the din of conversation. But no matter how hard I tried, a renewed sense of wariness settled over me. Unfounded paranoia, more like. He was probably just staring at me because of my cotton candy pink hair.

I fished my phone from my pocket and texted Vivi, Getting our drinks! Be home in ten. This way, if I wasn't, if anything happened, she'd have a reason to worry. Then I checked my email and various social media accounts. I didn't see any of it, though. My surroundings constricted, tightening around me. Tighter. Tighter. I focused on my breathing. A quick glance showed drinks sliding onto the counter. The barista called out the order and a guy my age stepped forward, grabbing them.

Another deep breath. I tried not to fidget. Tried, and failed. I needed to get the fuck out of here.

"Dirty chai and a white chocolate mocha! For Candy!" Mark glanced up, our eyes connected, then he smiled and it did little to ease my nerves. Trying to appear calm, I strode forward and grabbed the drinks, quickly thanking him before speed walking out the door. I didn't look back once.