CHAPTER 13 Faint memories

It was the thirtieth of October when Alice and Daphne headed upstairs for breakfast only to find Pansy sitting alone at the Slytherin table with her eyes fixed on the opposite side of the hall. She had her fork up in the air, inches away from her half-opened mouth.

'You okay? The fork's heading in the right direction but you forgot to put food on it.' Daphne slumped down in front of her and helped herself to some toast. Alice took a seat next to Pansy and followed her gaze. The girl seemed to be looking in the direction of the Gryffindor table where the Weasley brothers along with Harry Potter were chatting away merrily. Behind them, by the wall, stood Draco and Theodore. Every now and again it seemed that they were trying to inch closer to the group of Gryffindors.

'What in the world are those two doing?' Alice muttered. 'Are they trying to eavesdrop on Potter and his mates?'

'Are you serious?' Daphne turned around swiftly and chuckled. 'They're being so obvious. What's up with your boyfriend, Pansy?'

'What's up with your boyfriend?' Pansy retorted.

'I don't have a boyfriend, what are you talking about...'

'Whatever,' Pansy rolled her eyes. 'If you must know, these two idiots believe that the Weasleys have figured out how to enter the Tournament despite being underage.'

'Really?' Alice was intrigued.

'It's ridiculous!' Pansy scoffed. 'I wouldn't listen to those clowns if they told me they'd invented an immortality potion.'

'Aw, Pansy,' Daphne put on a fake sympathetic voice, 'you're just sour because the boys won't let you take part in their little Triwizard adventure.'

Pansy glowered at her. 'You two should be sour too. Don't you want to participate? How are you okay letting boys try to sneak their way in without you?'

'I'm guessing Draco didn't ask you to go eavesdrop on the redhead trio with him?' said Daphne mockingly.

'I hate you,' Pansy stated firmly and got up from her plate, 'no offense to you, Alice.'

She left them alone and Alice looked at Daphne questioningly.

'She gets on my nerves sometimes,' Daphne shrugged. 'Don't worry about it. It's no big deal, we've known each other since we were babies. We fight all the time.'

'Pansy has a point,' Alice wondered. 'It'd be cool to participate.'

'I don't think so,' Daphne responded. 'I'd rather not risk my life for some stupid competition.'

'Who's talking about risking their lives?'

'People have died,' Daphne pointed her fork at her threateningly. 'Don't take this so lightly. Personally, I feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to take part in this circus.'

'You seemed excited when they first announced it,' Alice remarked. She looked around in search of Blaise and found him at the Hufflepuff table next to Ernie. She smiled.

'I've been doing some reading since then. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, trust me. I still can't believe Dumbledore's letting this go ahead.'

'Dumbledore...' Alice whispered to herself. Something about him rang a bell...

'Huh?'

Alice merely shook her head. 'It's nothing. Anyway, what do you think–'

She was interrupted by Blaise who had suddenly appeared by her side. He had a bright, dreamy smile on his face. 'I feel like skipping class,' he said, popping a green grape into his mouth.