I lifted my head to the fairy, "Return now," I said. "We will return soon. I have many sins to make up for." I turned back to her, running my claw along her face as she turned to press her lips against my palm.

"You're beautiful," she said softly. "Then again, all of your forms are beautiful to me, my love." I felt shame for what I had tried, and apparently, she could feel it as well. "Don't. Don't do that. We have been through so much, and it has been so long since you've been able to be free - truly free in your natural form. This can't be easy for you, Calibas." How could she so easily forgive what I almost did?

"Because I love you," she answered my unspoken question. "I have loved you from the beginning of time, and I will continue to love you past the ending of it." I felt pride swell within me and retracting my fangs, I crushed her lips to mine. She let out a low moan that made my body rigid with desire.

"Ahem," the fairy coughed.

"I told you to go," I growled, glaring at him.

"Yeah, I'd love to but there's a problem." He held his arm out to me and I saw the black spidering across his veins. "I can't."

Nimue bristled, "What is that?"

Jax grimaced, "Bánánach venom." He stepped toward her and cradled her face in his hand, "I'm so sorry, Ni, but I'm not going back."

I supported her weight as she began to fall, sobbing, "No, no, I can't, not you." He tried to comfort her, but it was no use. "You said he was sleeping," she yelled at me. I searched my memory. Victor did. He told her Jax was fine - did he lie, or did he not really know?

My mouth gaped, "I...I don't know, mo maité. I can't sort between his memory and mine if he knew the depth of Jax's condition. I'm so sorry." She pounded against my chest, screaming and crying, while he clung to her. Looking at his wounds, I knew he had to be in great pain, but he hid all of it, focusing only on her and her needs. An idea came to mind, but I wasn't sure how either of them would respond. "There is an option," I said quietly, "but only if you truly want it, Jax."

Both their faces turned to me.

"I can turn him." I heard her take in a sharp breath while Jax sputtered. "If he enters the Cauldron, the poison will have no power, but my claim is eternal. Understand, Jax, if you accept this, you are choosing to become immortal, to become Abhartach."

His face paled as he listened to my words, then he fell to his knees. Nimue knelt next to him. "You don't have to do this, Jax. We can find a way. With all the magic everyone has, there has to be a way," she pleaded.

He gave a croaking laugh, "Ni, if this guy can't fix it, no one can." He looked up at me, a hard look forming on his face. "Explain everything. I want to know exactly what will happen and what I will become if I do this."

I lowered myself to the ground before him, letting my fangs lower. His eyes went wide. "This is my true form, yet I can take on any I want," I said as I transformed into the shell they called Victor, then into a female figure with blonde hair, then back to my natural state. "I am more than a shifter, I am a siúlóir bás - a death walker. I am neither dead nor alive. Until today, my heart had not beaten since the dawn of time in my true form, only in shells like Victor. I was created in the Cauldron as a creature that can travel all planes of existence. While most Abhartach do drink blood to live, we can also survive off the essence of those around us. Neither will kill the donor unless you want it to. I'm not a vampire, contrary to popular belief, but I am similar." I could see him struggling with all the information.

"You said until today. Why did your heart beat today?" Nimue asked.

I ran a claw down her cheek, grinning, "You, my Melody. It began to beat for you. That being said, I do not know how that new development might affect his transition. If my heart is beating - even at the slow rhythm it is, that might mean yours will beat as well, Jax."