XI. 𝗶 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗻 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗶𝗲 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘁𝘀

𝐕𝐈𝐀

I watched Cole sleep until daybreak.

Okay, that sounds a lot creepier than I meant it to be, but it's exactly what happened. With my inability to sleep properly, I simply sat on the moonlit beach, with Cole sleeping soundly on the sand beside me.

At one point, he started twitching, as if he was having a nightmare. Instinctively, I reached out and placed one of my hands on his head. My fingers buried themselves in his raven hair, and I activated my power. The yellow glow gave a bit of light to the surrounding area, so I could see the constricted expression on Cole's sleeping face. I entered his temporal lobe.

The way my power worked, was if I entered someone's dream, I viewed it like I was a drone flying above. In Cole's dream, I saw an old-fashioned temple, and two translucent figures standing on the roof, talking intensely. The image shifted, and Cole was hugging an old man with an extremely long beard, a smile on both of their faces. The old man melted into dust, Cole desperately grasping at the space he used to be, sobbing.

I felt myself frown. Whoever that was, he definitely meant a great deal to Cole. I used my power and sought out everything negative that haunted his temporal lobe. I flipped the switch, and all of those black things morphed to a yellow-gold, instantly making everything that made the dream bad, turn good.

I disconnected from his mind, retracting my hand from his fluffy hair, and sitting criss-cross in front of him. I watched with a smile as his expression turned from something of anguish and suffering, to relaxation. I could have remained in his brain and saw what was making him so happy, but I decided against it. I didn't want to invade his privacy. More than I already have, I mean.

When the sun started to rise over the distant horizon, Cole shifted in his sleep, a sure sign he was waking up. After a moment of panic, I slumped down to the ground in a curled up position, closing my eyes and pretending to be asleep. I didn't want to face the embarrassment I'd feel when he'd wake up and find me watching him.

I felt him stirr behind me, groaning loudly. I heard him mutter to himself, "Geez, Lloyd's gonna kill me when I tell him about this..." then, I felt a large hand gently place itself on my shoulder, slightly shaking me. I distracted myself from his spiraling mind by listening to his voice instead as he spoke softly, "Hey... Via. Via? Via!"

I pretended to be waking up, groaning and letting my eyes flutter open. I hummed, meeting his gorgeous amber eyes, and with the groggiest voice I could muster said, "Is... is it morning?"

Cole nodded, an embarrassed smile on his face, "Yeah," he helped me to my feet, gripping my elbows to help me steady myself, "I am so sorry about last night... summoning elemental dragons takes a lot of energy, and I should've stopped when you told me to."