I Made My Bed

Ten Months Ago

Ten Months Ago

I roll my shoulders and stretch my back to work out the tension from sitting in one position for so long. Sending my last client on their way with aftercare instructions, I clean up my station so that I can get the fuck home.

Between my therapy session this morning and then working for the rest of the day, I'm so damn exhausted. That's nothing new. Ever since I fucked up my life two months ago, I've done nothing but work on myself and stay busy. It's the empty time that I hate because my brain doesn't stop running. My life constantly plays on repeat, showing me what I had and what I stupidly lost. My relationship with Charlie is the featured film. What should have been happily ever after turned into a tragic fucking love story because I couldn't keep my dick in my pants.

This isn't where my life is supposed to be. I'm using my Fine Arts degree as a tattoo artist, but I was supposed to be running my shop with Charlie and Amelia. That's been the plan for as long as I can remember.

Now, it's just another dream that's been crushed under the weight of my betrayal.

My thoughts drift as I work on cleaning up the shop.

Graduation was a shit show. Not that I expected anything different after what I did. It's just another glaring reminder of how much I fucked up.

My parents sat alone near me instead of with their lifelong friends and I only had to see them glancing in Charlie and her parents' direction sadly to know how much my selfish choice hurt them, too. They love me so, of course, they'd stand by me, but I know they were wishing things were different.

Hell, I did too.

I was happy though that when the dean called Charlie's name, they were screaming and cheering for her as loud as her parents and friends were. I don't even blame hers for staying quiet when my name was called. The only thing that got me then was when I looked into the crowd as I was walking across the stage and saw the tears leaking down Charlie's face. My feet tried to carry me in that direction until they reminded me it wasn't my place any longer when Alek wrapped her in his arms.

The glares I received when Rianna hollered my name in congratulations had me scurrying off the stage as fast as I could. I wanted to keep running until I could somehow outrun my stupid fucking choice, but I'm smart enough to know I'll never be able to do that. It'll always follow me.

Too bad I wasn't fucking smart enough to walk the hell away when Charlie warned me the first time about Rianna.

I hadn't spoken one word to her since the day I responded to her text messages at Grinders, but she can't seem to take the hint. She's constantly trying to get my attention by sending me messages from unknown numbers and stalking me around town. She tried showing up here, but Remy, the owner, put a stop to that bullshit real quick. When she kept showing up at the apartment I used to share with Charlie, I eventually had to move in with my parents.