I love you, but right now I hate you more.

One Year Ago

One Year Ago

It wasn't my plan to sit out here with him while he talked to both of our parents. When I saw the panic, terror, and even pain cross his face, there was no way I was going to make him do it alone.

Making him tell our parents wasn't done to spite him, nor was it for malicious purposes. There was only one reason I did it.

Keaton loves and respects our fathers so much, and I know he's going to need someone in his corner. I'm not blind nor stupid. I know that he and Rianna are going to be sided against. Especially since David threw down in my corner.

It's the last thing I want. Keaton destroyed me in ways I'm not sure can be fixed, but I've been in this boy's life since we were little kids. That's a lot of memories and no matter how much I want to erase every single one of them from my mind, I know it's impossible. All of that—the memories, the feelings—they don't just go away with the snap of your finger.

Or obviously at the sight of your boyfriend shoving his bare dick into someone else's nasty snatch.

I squeeze my eyes closed tightly as I breathe through the pain. When I have that vision shoved to the very back of the freaking titanium vault in my head, I open my eyes back up and gaze into the fire.

It's beautiful the way the bright orange flames twist one way and then the other in a chaotic dance of heat. A destructive force that can only take seconds to obliterate anything in its path.

Kind of like love.

"Dad," Keaton whispers.

The agony in his voice tears through me and I bring my legs closer to my chest, wrapping my arms around them tighter like they're able to protect me from the pain and misery that swirls in the air around us.

Tears roll down my face and I rest my cheek on my knees as I watch Keaton struggle to tell his father what he's done.

Why, if he's suffering so much now, did he do it in the first place? Is it regret? And if so, is it because he got caught and knows he's lost me, or is it because of her? Does he love her? He's got to feel something toward her, otherwise why would he risk it?

"What's going on, son?" Chester's voice is gruff and full of sadness, like he already knows what we have lost tonight. "Where's Charlie? Can I talk to her since you're having trouble?"

Keaton glances over at me, flinching when he sees the tears, once again, pouring from my eyes. I say nothing. Not a demand nor an answer to his father's question. Keeping my gaze on him, despite how hard it is, I let him know he has to decide.

I made the choice to call the parents. I wasn't going to carry the burden of telling them what he did when they asked questions. They would have been bombarding me with them the moment they figured out we weren't living together anymore. This was a choice I couldn't let him take from me, too. It may not have been right, but I would do the same thing again. There's not a lot in my life right now that's in my control. Calling them and having him tell them was.