You will never be worth it.

One Year Ago

One Year Ago

There comes a point when you're on your knees staring at the ruination of your life that you have to admit your faults. You accept that you're to blame for the way you completely eviscerated the one person who has always been there for you. The one person whose only fault was loving someone that ended up not being worthy of it.

I hate you.

Those three words repeat in my head, battering against me and burrowing under my skin.

Sixteen years and I've never heard her say those words. Not to me. Not to anyone. Charlie didn't have it in her to hate anyone until I gave her a reason to.

What the fuck have I done?

This isn't me. This isn't the man my parents raised me to be.

A tear drips from my face, warm against my cold hand. It's funny how one drop of liquid can convey so much. Happiness, love, sorrow, self-loathing...remorse.

I need to get up and go after her, yet I can't get my legs to move.

How did I get here? How did I have it in me to destroy the best thing in my life? Why did I do it?

"Oh, come on, Keaton. You knew this would be the outcome. Don't act like a baby now. She doesn't want you anymore. We can finally be together."

Her voice grates against my ears. "Shut the fuck up."

He's all yours. I don't want him anymore.

I hate you.

You fucking annihilated me.

I'll leave here, and I'll erase you from my life.

I'm unable to block out the taunting words and even if I could, I wouldn't. They're my punishment.

My head jerks around when the door snicks shut behind them. Black spots dance in my vision and I grab at my throat, rubbing to get it to open so that I can breathe.

She's gone because she hates me, but not as much as I hate myself.

The smile that never fails to brighten my day-gone.

I hate you.

The way her smokey gray eyes would shout her mood before her mouth did-gone.

I hate you.

The love she had for me-gone.

I hate you.

But mine's not. God, mine's not. My soul is fighting to tear from my body so that it can be with her, but it can't. If I don't have a soul, then I'll never have her.

I was so much in love with you. Deeply. Insanely. It's funny how quickly that goes away.

Grabbing a handful of my hair, I yank viciously, needing the pain. Craving it.