"I will pay them a visit when I return."

Lady Celine pursed her lips and thought for a moment before speaking. "I am due at the temple today. It's a hard ride but many nobles of the surrounding area will be in attendance. Casting a prophecy for a large group of people has had better effects than individual predictions lately. Though only the gods know why. Come with me."

It was tempting. This dream puzzled Briseis more than anything she had ever experienced. But there was the Vhasti factor. No doubt by this time Vhasti discovered she left the city without informing her. Telling Vhasti wasn't strictly necessary, but the Queen of Pedasus wouldn't take kindly to it since Briseis had been gone for more than a day. "That's very kind but my presence is already overdue back at court."

"I can have one of my servants run a message to the palace. The predictions have not gotten as difficult out here as they have been in the city according to my cousin. It will mean a few more days away but if this dream is truly a matter of great concern I believe you should come."

It is perhaps the most important thing that's ever happened to me. Is it worth the risk of Vhasti's rage to try one more time for an interpretation? "Perhaps you are right."

🦉

A strong storm hindered their ride. The pair had a few guards and gifts for the temple. As they rode in Lady Celine's carriage they were save from the worst of it. Though by the end of the journey the canvas top of the carriage was beginning to soak through and water dripped on them and the refreshments making for an unpleasant journey. Briseis was glad she let Kegarta stay behind on the estate. The poor girl was prone to colds at the slightest exposure to foul weather.

Lightning and thunder crashed overhead as they stepped from the leaky carriage and into a gale of strong wind and stinging rain. The guards ushered them inside quickly as acolytes of the temple rushed to shelter their carriage and horses. Blankets and hot wine were offered to the ladies and guards as they rushed inside the temple.

"Lagus!" Lady Celine called to a priest, dressed in modest robes for his station, as he hurried toward them followed by several acolytes dressed in hard riding clothes. The man Celine called too was tall and wore a severe countenance. A large red burn scar on his left arm added to the air of hostility given off by his body language.

"Cousin!" the man exclaimed. "I was growing worried your carriage met an uncouth end. I was about to send acolytes after you. The others have all arrived and are set up in quarters." The family members hugged and clasped elbows before the priest turned his attention to Briseis. "Who have you brought with you?"

The man laid his eyes on her and Briseis felt uncomfortable. Despite his words saying he was pleased to see his cousin, the mean air she sensed around the man didn't diminish one bit.

"Princess Briseis of Pedasus," Lady Celine said while using a cloth to try and dry her hair. Celine was either indifferent to the manner in which her cousin presented himself, or was so used to it that the behavior didn't bother her.

"My Princess." The priest bowed low and the acolytes followed his example. "We've never been graced with anyone of such a high station. I'm afraid we have no quarters to provide you that are up to royal standard."

"It matters not. I will be grateful for whatever shelter you can provide." And she would; the stable would be preferable compared to the leaky carriage they'd left.

"I have set out a private meal for you and I to catch up cousin. If you wish I will set another place for you at the table, Princess," Lagus offered.

"I do not wish to intrude," Briseis said hoping he would drop the invitation.

"Join us, Princess," Celine urged. "It will be no intrusion."

🦉

Briseis woke confused. Her night had been dreamless for the first time in months. The sky outside was overcast and a much lighter rain than what they'd driven through the previous day fell. From her window Briseis watched the stables. They were littered with many carriages and horses. She couldn't see the house signets on the flags to identify who was here. The dinner had gone late as well so Briseis hadn't met any of the others. A servant knocked on the door and Briseis called for her to enter so the day could begin.

After dressing and eating a light breakfast, Briseis was taken to the main sanctuary of the temple. The priest would be along to speak with her privately soon. A soft chatter went through the room as a large group of older lords and ladies were taken to an antechamber to await their chance to talk to the priest. Lady Celine was among them and she nodded to Briseis in greeting. As Briseis was the highest ranking person among them she got the first interview of the day with the priest.

A statue of Apollo graced the center of the room. It wasn't nearly as large as the one in the city but very respectable and just as well cared for. The room was much colder though. In part because it was a cold day and secondly the main alter fire she stood near wasn't lit. At the temple back in Pedasus the fire was lit always, but in smaller temples that didn't have as many resources the temple money had to be spent more frugally.  

"I apologize for the wait, Princess. The storm has delayed our supply chain so we must scourge for what little implements are on hand." The head priest of the temple rushed in. He had silver hair with just the barest hints of black remaining. Unlike many of the priests in Pedasus, he still had a trim figure and a strong frame. Lagus was a few steps behind him accompanied by two younger men carrying many wax tablets.

"It is of no matter, High Priest. I am honored to be received."

"Tell me what you came to call on the gods for."

Briseis explained her dream. The priest listened intently while the acolytes behind him took notes. Lagus also took notes and set the tablet on a small table beside the alter while the other two put theirs in a chest underneath it. The three stood respectfully in silence once their task was finished.   

"Do you believe it can be deciphered?" she asked.

"It's hard to say; if the dream had stayed consistent perhaps. With these recent changes it makes things troubling. That's not how these things tend to work."

"It can't be a product of nothing," Briseis insisted.

"My dear," he took her hand patted it, "often times we try to ascribe meaning to many things that are no more than mundane."

"I don't believe the dream is mundane." Briseis put her other hand over his. There was no way it could be anything other than a real communication with the mysterious man. Briseis knew this dream was important perhaps the most important thing in her life to this point, and for that reason she would press for an answer.

"I will consult the gods and offer a sacrifice on your behalf. Please, Princess Briseis please try to understand, by your own words the priests of Pedasus, who are the most experienced of our order have failed to determine any meaning. It is more than likely this will end the same."

Lagus scowled at the head priest but as the man had his back to him the priest remained unaware. Lagus saw Briseis' gaze on him and quickly turned his expression stoic. That was interesting. She listened halfheartedly, nodding and agreeing to whatever drivel the head priest spouted while making plans to have a private audience with Lagus.