Chapter 26

"Remember a couple of months ago when we celebrated my 'last big day' in the hospital?" I said to Dana. "Today's making me think of that day because today's celebration is real. For now, at least, I don't have to worry."

"Penney, you do know there's always the chance of-" Dana said before stopping herself. I knew what she was about to say, she was about to remind me that there was always the chance of a relapse. But for now, I didn't care. Today was my special day, and nothing or no one was gonna take that away from me. 

Well, it wasn't just my special day. It was Kate's special day too. My doctor's letting me ring the bell at the end of the oncology ward twice, once for myself and once in Kate's memory. According to Elodie, Kate was so close to the end, she was so close to getting her special moment too, and then it all went downhill.

"Penney, you have no idea how proud I am of you." Dana said with a wide smile. "You just won a battle that no kid should ever have to go through, and I and your entire family are immensely proud of you."

"I can't wait to see everyone else today. I haven't seen them in months because of restrictions and because I was often too exhausted to get out of bed and go anywhere." I said, heading down the children's hospital hallway to ring the bell and signify the end of my cancer battle. Sure, I'm going to have follow up appointments every now and then, but the main battle is over.

"How are you feeling, Penney?" Dana asked, taking my hand and squeezing it. 

"Physically, mentally, or emotionally?" I asked. "Because physically, I'm fine, just tired. Mentally, I'm a little anxious for my future. And emotionally, this feels a little surreal. It's going to feel really weird waking up every morning and not panicking about chemo and the hospital and all the pain I went through. It's not like I'm gonna miss it, because I am so glad this is over, it's just gonna feel a little odd."

"I get what you mean, sweetie, I really do. Now, are you ready?" Dana asked. I nodded and looked up, being met with the bell at the end of the hall. The same bell that I looked at every single day for the seven months of my cancer treatment, and every time I looked at it I wondered when, and if, I would ever get the chance to ring it.

And now that day has come. 

I turned around and smiled at Dana, then reached up and rang the bell with all my might. I was so happy, this moment was seven months in the making.  

The sounds that I was hearing were glorious. The sounds of celebration, of applause, and the sound of all my worries and fears escaping my body forever.

"I'm not done yet." I said softly. "Kate Vidal, this is for you and your fight. I love you, I miss you, and I'm so incredibly proud of you."

Ring.

__________

"Mommy, what's all the giggling for?" I asked in the car while Dana was trying to stifle her laughter from the driver's seat. "You're acting like you're on laughing gas."

"It's nothing, Penney, it's just that I'm overwhelmed with happiness right now. My little girl survived cancer, and even though I've told you time and time again, I'm always going to be proud of you." Dana said, taking her hand off the wheel for a split second to squeeze my hand.

"I'm proud of myself too, but seriously, what's going on?" I asked.

Dana smiled as we pulled up in front of my apartment building. Dana opened the door, took my hand, and she led me to the apartment giggling like a little kid.

"Welcome home, Penney." Dana said when she opened the door.

"SURPRISE!"