Chapter 9: Revenge and Redemption

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Both Usopp and Robin' voices assured us that all is going well, and Zoro hung up, just in time to hide the transponder before the giant doors creaked open, inviting us in.

"Glad ya could make it," a hoarse, gruesome voice greets.

Weird Eyes appears behind the doors with a wolfish smile. Years have passed, but he isn't any less unpleasant. He's wearing the same yellowish tunic with irregular stains, which could well be from wine or blood. Disgusting. The idiot tries to give Luffy a handshake, which is left in the air, and aggressively signals for him to follow him instead.

As I walk through the door, the cold, damp air catches me unprepared. I stifle a shudder, and follow Luffy's lead, head down and hands tied with a loose rope behind my back, a complement to my hostage performance, Franky's idea.

"Where's Nami?" Luffy demands.

"Don't panic, your gal's safe," Weird Eyes chuckles, before downing the rum bottle that he has been holding.

The sound of our only exit slamming shut manages to disturb my composure for a second, but I remain quiet, following Luffy as the man with the rum bottle leads the way. We stop at a large hall with stained glass windows. It all seems to be part of the old tower, though I have never been on this floor before. There are no slaves or guards here, it looks...almost like a normal foyer, if you disregard the lack of furniture of any kind. The bleak scene, and perhaps the choking threat in the air, pumps a rush of adrenaline through my veins, and I can't help the trembling of my hands, fortunately hidden by my hair.

"Welcome back, little bitch," the drunk bastard smiles at me, "looking good."

His voice makes my hair stand on end, but I don't give him the pleasure of seeing it. Instead, my eyes focus on the three steps that mark the beginning of another chamber ahead, a warmer one, judging by the fireplace on the back wall.

"You know, your master was quite pissed when we thought you had died in that explosion. Imagine my surprise when you came back to life," he continues.

Well, fuck it. "You mean when you beat me senseless and sent me in the air? Yeah, shocked," I huff.

"Hey, not my fault." He shrugs, "No one recognized you with that cape of yours."

As Weird Eyes continues talking, a flash of something shiny draws my attention to his mouth: a gold tooth. One that wasn't gold the last time we met. The shadow of a smile spreads across my face. It's good to know that I got to do some damage too.

The satisfaction is short-lived though.

"Isn't it strange that your bird friend got roasted and you didn't though?" The mention of Saphir makes me flinch, giving him the sign of having struck a nerve, "I mean, she had wings and all, and, let's face it, she was stronger than you."

I glare at the man, forgetting that my reaction was exactly what he was looking for, "Shut the fuck up," I mutter through my teeth, growing visibly agitated, my nails digging into the palm of my fisted hands.

"I bet you set her up somehow, always knew you were a heartless bitch."

I've barely managed to remain calm, sheltered between the two men with me, but Weird Eyes' taunting makes me see red.

"A decent doc, yet just fried chicken at the end. What a pity."

Before I can jump to his throat, though, a tough, callused hand grabs me by the shoulder, forcing me back. "Don't," Zoro commands sternly. I glare at the swordman out of the corner of my eye, too entranced in my own anger to see reason.

Since his grip on my shoulder wouldn't budge, I turn back to Weird Eyes, who's laughing at my reaction, "Tsk, I couldn't expect tact from the town's halfwit drunk, anyway. It's not like you can help it."