sixteen

Neisha

Neisha

"You came alone?"

"Of course, girl. You know Kai can fucking talk," Ada said. I stepped aside and let her into the house. Shawn was also at work today, so I was glad to have some company while he was gone.

Even though he offered to take some time off to take care of me, I told him he didn't need to. One, because I don't want him babying me anymore. I know he had to do that in order to help me when Sai wasn't here, and I'm grateful that he stuck by my side. But now that I'm feeling better, I don't want him worrying too much about me. I don't want our relationship to feel one-sided like that; I wanna take care of him too.

And two, me and A had some things we needed to figure out without them knowing. I loved the guys, but I don't trust them to keep our suspicions to themselves. You give Kai one shot and then he's crying, telling you his whole life story.

We both plopped down on the couch after wrapping ourselves up in blankets. "I wish Sai was here," I automatically mumbled. There had been a lot of time and space between us, but I knew that eventually we'd settle back into our same routines. It was frustrating that as soon as we got Sai back, she was taken away from us again. I was sick and tired of it.

"Me too. But we gotta figure this out, for her."

I nodded, opening up my journal with some notes I wrote. Since that day at the police station, I'd been thinking of all the possibilities and running Sai's words through my head over and over again. Writing it all down was the only way I could remember everything, and it also felt good to vent on paper.

"Alright, Nancy Drew. Let's see what you got."

I opened up to the last page I was writing on. "Here's what we know: Sai, Eli, his brother, and Bree were the four people in the house that night."

"Plus the baby," A added.

"She don't count. You think she can tell us what really went down?" I asked sarcastically.

"I'm just saying--"

"Anyways. Four people, Eli's brother is dead so that leaves three people alive who know what went down. The media running different stories on what they think happened, so I've been writing them down and picking the parts that make sense."

It hurt to see them drag Sai's name through the mud, especially since the police hadn't released any official information about what happened. Eli nor Bree could talk about it, and I didn't want to press either of them because everything was a lot right now.

"One, they're saying that Sai had Nori this whole time. After her accident, she wanted a baby of her own so she took Keon's. She was gonna take the baby and force Eli to leave town with her, but Bree and Desmond were at the apartment and tried to stop her. She ended up shooting Desmond to try and get away, but the police showed up and arrested her."