Chapter One: The Blood Spilled From A Human

The flock of sheep grazed along the grass, the sun beginning to set as the day came to an end. His burly paws squished down the grass as he ran across the large acre of land, letting out a deep bark as he did so. He took aquic sharp turn, cutting off a large flock of sheep that let out a few startled baa's in response. He ran around the flock in a full fledged circle, he led them to the sheep pen, using his large body to close the gate once they were all in the pen. "Good boy Bane!"

The young girl said as she walked over, standing in front of Bane and reaching a hand down to pat the great pyrenees's head. He leaned into the touch, his leg picking up slightly to scratch himself as she scratched a spot underneath his collar. The young girl eventually gave him one last scratch before heading back into their house, Bane following behind. The two headed into her bedroom where she changed into her pajamas, and he curled up on the carpet that laid upon her floor. She slipped into bed and soon drifted to sleep afterwards.

The morning awoke the two with the sound of a rooster from their barn as it let out a sharp ear-piercing, 'cock-a-doodle-doo'. Bane took his time getting up, stretching with a large toothy yawn as his owner stood up and stretched as well. She took a quick shower and brushed her teeth before walking into the kitchen where Bane sat, patiently waiting for breakfast. She chuckled as he drooled as she prepared a simple bowl of dry dog food, placing down on the kitchen floor he rushed over and chowed down. She rolled her eyes with a small smile and made herself a cup of tea.

After her tea was finally done, she took a moment to appreciate the view of the sun rising as she took a sip of her tea. The sun shone beautifully upon the empty grasslands, the skies a pastel pink and the slightest of pastel orange. She took a little more while to admire the view before she felt something nudge her hand, looking down she saw Bane looking at her with the best puppy eyes he could give. She chuckled quietly to herself once more before opening the back door in which Bane flew right out of.

The great pyrenees ran happily in the empty fields, coming to a screeching halt as a copper smell hit his nose. He looked around for a moment where suddenly the sound of something snapping reached his ears, he slowly turned his head to see something down the slope of the hill he had begun to run down. The thing sat there, something beneath it seemed to be its unfortunate prey, the sounds of it feasting filled his ears and he let out a small whine. The dog himself froze as the creature picked up its head and slowly turned to look at him, it wore the skull of a deer, the antlers seeming unnaturally long.

Bane felt everything within himself go off like an alarm as blood stained the mouth of the long mouth, its teeth sharp on the deer skull. A piece of flesh stuck out of its mouth, what caught his eye was the familiar peach-ish color that it held but he didn't stay much longer to observe it. He turned around quickly as the sun began to fully rise up, he raced back to the house, the sounds of the creature feasting came back into play once more. He burst in through the open back door, panting heavily as he caught his breath.

"Bane? What's wrong, big guy?" his owner had asked him, he simply plopped himself onto the floor, the dog's heart racing as the harsh scent of copper rekindled its flame back inside his nostrils. He used his two paws to swipe at his nose, the smell of the dirt and the familiar scent of sheep as well. His owner bent down with a worried frown spreading upon her face, "Bane...what happened?" she had asked, even with the unfortunate remembrance that her furry companion couldn't communicate in a way she could understand, simply barks, growls, and whinings were the only way her dog talked.

The dog finally caught his breath and sat back up, he went over to his water bowl, taking a few gulps from it before tugging his owner's sleeve and then walking back outside. He walked over to the barn where he nudged a pitch fork that they used to toss hay to the horses as such. She gave Bane a confused look before he gave it another nudge, and she finally grabbed it, and then he slowly walked over to where he had found the creature feasting, the sun beating down upon the two of them. They had finally reached the spot, Bane looked down the somewhat deep slope.

The dog stared for a moment, where the creature once was, laid a large stain of bloody grass. "What...the fuck?" She asked no one but herself at this point. She walked over to the spot, Bane right on her tail as she observed the random bloody spot. "I would think that a wolf got to one of the sheep...but you rounded them all up in the pen yesterday, I counted all ten of them too." she said, she walked back to the house with a deep uneasy feeling in her stomach. She called the local police station and waited for them to arrive, pitchfork still in hand.

The police came over and looked at the scene. She talked to them and they eventually had to leave. The main detective that worked in the station gave her a card to call, "So if anything weird or similar happens like this around here, just give me a call Ms. uh...what's your name?" "Wolf, Sarah Wolf." "Right, just give me a call Ms. Wolf if something happens." She gave the detective a short nod before heading to the barn, the detective gone as she began to take out the few horses she had for a nice grooming. "Well...as nice and quick as that was, I really hope I don't have to call the detective again." She said to herself, although Bane let out a small huff of what seemed to be agreement.

She continued on with her day, letting the sheep out to graze the grass as Bane watched them, as well as taking care of the rest of the barn animals. The sight of blood staining the grass stained her mind, although she didn't stay there long enough to actually smell it, her brain managed to create the scent of deep bloody copper filling her nose. Eventually the sun began to set once again and she began bringing the animals back in, Bane running around and leading the sheep back into their pen. She locked up the barn before heading back inside her home with Bane trotting right behind her.

She made sure to lock all the doors and windows before brushing her teeth and slipping into her pajamas. She let out a shaky sigh as she laid down in her bed, letting the darkness as her eyelids slid shut take over as she fell into a light sleep. She woke up in the middle of the night with a harsh nudge from Bane's cold and wet nose, she yawned and rubbed her eyes tiredly as she sat up. "What's up big guy? You just went to the bathroom before we came inside." She murmured to him in a hushed tone as she stood up and walked downstairs.

Before she could even twist the knob of the back door Bane let out a low whine, she raised an eyebrow before alarms went off in her head as he let out another whine, this time a bit louder when she tried to open the door once again. She paused to think for a moment then resorted to going to the kitchen window, where she opened the curtains that blocked the moonlight from shining in. At first blink she spotted nothing, her eyes too tired to notice what was right before her eyes, the second blink her blurry eyes became clear and her stomach filled with dread.

She let out a shaky breath, there outside her window, just more than ten feet away stood a creature that spread a towering shadow that almost reached the back door. She observed the shadow's length before her eyes drifted back to the beast, a crunch echoed through the silent night air. Her jaw dropped as she witnessed the beast standing there, holding up the body of a human that dangled limp in its hold, the innocent soul of the body had its head ripped off clean and devoured within a moment's notice. Blood pooled onto the grass and spread like a wildfire, she let out a squeak of terror, although quiet the monster had good hearing, turning its head to look right at her with its soulless eyes.

She gulped and ran up the stairs into her room, she ran into the closet and made a ruckus as she rummaged through it, eventually pulling down a long box from the top shelf. She breathed heavily through her nose, opening the box and pulling out a shotgun, fumbling to load it with the pellets that were lazily laid out in the box. "Okay Sarah...you can do this, it's probably just a wolf, maybe I'm still asleep." She blinked her eyes rapidly to get rid of any lasting blurriness from her tired eyes. She walked downstairs slowly, each step with hesitation. She took one last long breath of air before opening the back door, she peaked around, the pool of blood was still there, but the beast was gone.