Chapter 9

Chapter 9

(Caleb's Bed---------->)

            Caleb looked at Dimitri and wondered if he was okay. His brain could not conceive what he had just told him. He knew he was waiting for some kind of response from him, but he had no idea how to respond to something like this. Dimitri looked sane, but what he had explained to him was definitely not sane. “How can you sit there with a straight face and tell me because you were fighting some kind of Vampire urge,  and you had to leave me like that earlier.”  Caleb said as he rose from the table furious that he was spinning some kind of tale.

            “I am trying to tell you what I am and why my reactions are different from what humans expect in certain situations.” Dimitri pleaded and rose from the table as well.

            “How can you expect me to believe something like that?” Caleb asked coming right up to his face and looking up at him.

            Dimitri knew human did not believe in anything what they could not see with their own eyes so he prayed that it was the right decision when he stepped back from Caleb for his safety and dropped his guard. His incisors lengthened and his eyes went from obsidian black to raging red. He locked his muscles in place because the beast within him was on a precarious leash with Caleb so close. It wanted to take and conquer. He held himself rigidly still as Caleb stepped forward and gasped.

            Caleb came to halt just out of arms reach from Dimitri. He would not have believed it if he had not seen it with his own eyes. It was true. He looked into the raging depths of Dimitri's glowing eyes trying to see the man he had come to care for, the man who had given him the first taste of passion only a few hours ago.

            Dimitri reigned himself in and converted himself back into himself. He simply spread his arms out at his side in surrender. Dimitri's eyes pleaded with Caleb's and he said. “I can’t change what I am. I have exposed myself to you because you are my mate and I need you, but if you cannot accept what I am, any relationship between us will not work. If you choose not to I only ask for your silence to protect myself and my loved ones.”

            Caleb’s brain finally decided to function again. He had a million questions to ask him, but as he looked into Dimitri's eyes and saw the torture he was experiencing, he knew he was opening himself at a great cost to himself to expose what he was to him. Dimitri said he was his mate and although he didn’t understand the ramifications fully of what that meant, he knew even after the short amount of time that Dimitri affected him as no other man has. He walked up to him and placed his hand on Dimitri's chest over his heart and felt it pounding away under his palm. “I have so many things to ask you, but I don’t know where to start. I thought you rejected me because I am inexperienced with men and that it showed. I never expected something like this. I never dreamed that anyone like you existed. I hope you can explain it so I can understand, but I won’t betray you or speak of you revealed to me. As to the mate part you have to explain that as well.” He said.

            Dimitri gently drew Caleb to him and hugged him close to his chest. He almost cried in relief when he felt Caleb's arms slide around his waist to hold on tight. “I will answer whatever you like and explain the best I can, but it is a long tale the story of my life.”

            “We have all night, because I definitely cannot sleep now. Just let me fix the sofa and we can sit more comfortably.” Caleb said as he released him to do just that.

            Dimitri walked over and helped him put the bed away and arranged the pillows. Caleb sat down and pulled Dimitri down next to him. He tried to gather his thoughts about what he wanted to ask when Dimitri just suggested to let him tell him about his way of life then if he had questions he could ask. He told Caleb of his childhood of being born into what he was, he told him of the history of his kind in his country and others being persecuted and killed to the point of extinction. He explained the need for hiding and not revealing what his kind was to the human public.