Chapter 2 - Dreaming of.. someone?

I spend the rest of the day gardening, trying to convince the carrots that the new flowers will look beautiful beside them.

But of course not more beautiful, "your orange color shines more vibrant than anything in this garden." 

Haha, those stubbord vegetables. 

I think back to the prince form my book while the watering can sweaps over the bushes. 

I like gardening. Are there really princes out there who would like gardening? I scrunch my nose. Doubtful. 

All princes are proud and prudent. A beautiful garden is too much meaningless work for such a clean face and hands. 

I yank the can away from my tulips, I have let the water run for too long.

Damn it. 

I bend down and put the can beside me. My hands start working the dirt. I try to take away as much of the soaked soil as possible before it reaches the deep roots. 

Oh please, I bought these last week. 

I scoop handfulls of dirt to then put them to the side of this flower section. 

I hook one of my hairstrands behind my ear.

Finally. Some of the water sunk through but most of the completly wet dirt is gone. These tulips wont look to happy tomorrow, but i can save them. Just need to be more careful.

I sighn, why the heck was I cought up in my thoughts like that. I frown.

So stupid.

I stand up and slap my hands together to rid them of some dirt. Sweat is dripping down my sides. 

I look down at my hands. Too much dirt. Hmpf.

Foolish princes! I grown and stomp away to the bucket standing by the door. I fill it with the dirt and place it away by the fence. 

No prince could even be as charming and nice as in my books. I snort of discust while cleaning my hands in the water.

No prince would come to the village. 

No prince would want to come to a little house in the woods.

No prince would want to get to know me.

My hands become still. A memory of my mother pops up in my head.

"Raya" She laughs as I'm frowning to the open book pages. I told her that I had never seen a prince in the village. "Princes are everywhere, just disquised in normal clothing and usually without an expensive crown." She said to me, smiling with amusement.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. She giggled. "Your future prince doesn't need to have expensive clothes or wear an expensive crown. As long as he is kind." She caressed my cheek.

She was of course telling me that any kind man in the village could potentially be the one I fall in love with. But she didn't know the villigers would continue acting so discusting towards me after her death. 

I dry my hands on the towel in the kitchen. Only the older men she knew are kind to me. And the married couple at te flowrshop, I remind myself. 

Working at her old working place gets me hearing alot of stories about her. Mostly from drunkards who liked her performence. 

They are friendly. A little wild at most when the night falls. But I step in if needed to keep the order. I work at the bar, not the secton she exelled in.

It is not unusual for the village to go quiet only late at night. Many bars or inn's ar open til the morning. 

Occationally my boss will talk about my mother. When he needs to make a point about my actions. 

"If only you were as much of a sunshine as your mother, the bar would get so much more income."

Pft, as if our customers are not begging for my harsh recieving.

Our bar was the most crowded back then. But that foolish old man can continue dreaming if he thinks I will take up the position of my mother. 

I look out the window. The sun is coming down. My garden turns orange and warm. 

I guess I'll preaper my night clothing then. 

I throw the towel back on top of the counter.

It feelt oddly cold going to sleep that night. Raya kept dreaming of princes and castles. Bars and bear. But in her dream she was    mearly watching the festivities from the side.