2.10

—

everyday this year Belle always woke up early before everyone else to surf and watch the sunrise. except this year, she didn't sleep. she just couldn't. with everything going on, how could she possibly sleep? especially on this day of all days. so what did she do? she snuck out of bed at five am leaving JJ who was sound asleep on her bed cuddled into her pillow with his mouth wide open. Belle changed into a navy blue bikini and slipped on her jacket and sandals making her way out through the back of the house grabbing a towel and her bag walking down towards the beach.

when she arrived she kicked off her sandals and threw her sweater, bag and towel down onto the sand making her way into the water where she swam for at least an hour or two. the sun had already come up and Belle walked back to her things grabbing the towel shaking off the sand and dried off, she threw the towel over her shoulder grabbing her jacket doing the same thing slipping it on and dried off the ends of her hair with the towel when she spotted a familiar figure walking towards her.

"what are you doing here?" she asked setting the towel back down.

Rafe walked over to her with his hands in the pockets of his sweater, "i know you always come for an early swim on this day so i'll make this quick."

"you have one minute. timer starts now." she crossed her arms.

"i never miss this day, you know it." her eyes looked everywhere except at him.

"happy birthday Bells." he says as Belle just looked at him.

'he remembered?' she thought to herself.

"that's all. i'll leave you alone now." he stepped back turning around starting to leave the beach.

"Rafe?" she called out as he turned around to look at her.

Belle looked at him remembering how just last year he wished her a happy birthday and couldn't understand how fast things had changed, "thanks."

he nodded leaving the beach as Belle sighed sitting on the sand watching the waves when her phone started to ring. she reached to her bag grabbing her phone seeing a call from an unknown number, she furrowed her eyebrows looking around the beach seeing it was empty and answered the phone.

"hello?"

"Bells?" tears immediately sprung in her eyes as a smile formed on her face letting out a laugh.

"hi, buddy."

"you think i'd miss your birthday?" John B laughed walking around the house he and Sarah were at.