side story I: an endearing exchange

Hina lightly traced her finger over the sketch, faint smudges of pencil lead dotting her fingers.

"Oh Kana," she smiled warmly, patting the girl's head. It was a drawing of Hina, carefully colored with different shades of graphite. "This is beautiful, I love it."

Kana nodded. "I know."

Then she ran off, skipping up the stairs until she was out of sight. Hina blinked.

Mayumi was seated in front of her, sipping her tea. She set her teacup down, eying the direction where Kana had run off to with a knowing smile. "That child. She's been waiting to give that to you."

"Has she?" Hina replied, softly chuckling.

"Oh, yes." Mayumi nodded hastily. "You've been so busy over the past couple of weeks—and she's been so grumpy. Honestly, I don't get why she doesn't just draw me."

Hina stifled a laugh. "Oh, no—Mayumi-san—"

"It's fine, she did give me that flower pot she made in school for Mother's Day." She placed a hand over her chest, breathing in slowly. "I've never felt so loved before. To receive a flower pot, made by my daughter's bare hands."

Mayumi pointed to the flower pot, sitting on a windowsill. "I think I told you—it was that one, actually. That one right there."

"I remember." Hina nodded, gazing at the brown flower pot, glistening in the sunlight. A small, green bud was peaking out of the soil, with two leaves stretched out.

"Yeah, the last flower died." Mayumi said, her tone shifting from nostalgic to blunt. Hina held back a laugh. "Kana was miserable—you remember, don't you?"

"Of course I do." Hina replied. "She was so upset that she didn't even want to get out of bed."

Mayumi rolled her eyes. "It was such a hassle, getting her out." She sipped her tea again, sighing. "We had to bribe her by telling her we were going to the zoo. And now she wants a lion. Tell me, Hina. Is owning a cat high maintenance?"

Hina thought for a moment, picturing Kumo in her mind. "Well—for some, maybe. Yes. But for me...Kumo seems well behaved. Though he does act—"

Like the Young Master.

"A bit spoiled sometimes."

"Really?" Mayumi raised her eyebrows. "That fluffy white cat? I'm not surprised—he's so cute."

Hina chuckled, sipping her own tea.

"Anyway," Mayumi started, setting her teacup back down on the glass table in front of them. "We both know why you're here."

Hina tried to act oblivious, blinking down at the green abyss of her tea. "I'm not quite sure what you mean."

"Oh, don't play with me, Hina dear!" Mayumi exclaimed, a lascivious smile on her lips. "I heard from Kaito, you know."

Oh dear. "I still don't—"

"You have a boyfriend." Mayumi pressed, leaning forward. "Hina has a boyfriend."

Hina didn't answer.

"It's true!" Mayumi gasped, her hands flying over her mouth. "Isn't it?"

Hina exhaled harshly, pursing her lips. "Technically yes, but we..." She paused.

They haven't really put a label on it yet.

Mayumi giggled, practically rejoicing. "I never thought I'd see the day. My dearest, little Hina. All grown up, with a boyfriend—and perhaps future husband—"