•Chapter 1•

"My friend Kit is coming," Joe says into the phone when I'm getting ready for my competition today

"Is that the one you filmed Heartstopper with?" I ask, "yeah he played Nick," he replies. Suddenly the locker door opens and in walks my coach and choreographer.

"Are you almost ready?" My coach Marie asks, I nod and say goodbye to Joe, he wishes me good luck and we hang up.

"And the next person up is Athena Adams with her free program!" The announcer states my name, Out of habit, I immediately search for Joe's familiar face in the crowd, while squinting due to the bright lights.

I lock eyes with him, and I immediately soften, already feeling the nerves loosen.

My body automatically, responds s to the music and I start doing my routine.

The music stops, and I'm in my ending position. I hit all of my jumps, and elements so I'm happy. I skate over to my coach, and she gives me a hug, while telling me how good I did.

We go over to where we read the scores, and I got 175.75, putting me in first place. My coaches hug me.

"You have to go get ready for your short program," she tells me. "Can I say hello to Joe first please? It will be quick." I ask holding my hands out pleadingly.

"Okay tell him to meet you by the locker room," she tells me I give her a hug and she walks away to go talk to one of my teammates.

I look up at Joe and motion for the locker room, he nods and talks to his friend.

We meet by the locker room and as soon as I see Joe, I run to him and he catches me laughing.

"I HIT ALL OF THEM JOE, ALL OF THEM CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!" I shout at his face, he laughs "I know I saw that, you did really good Athena," he says letting go of me.

I look over to his friend that giving me a small smile. "Oh yeah, Athena this is Kit, and Kit this is Athena we grew up together." He says gesturing to me.

"Hello," I tell Kit holding my hand out to Kit to shake. He grabs my hand and shakes it. "Hello, I don't know anything about figure skating but I'm guessing you did really well," He looks at me sheepishly.

"That's fine, considering Joe doesn't know anything about it either." I tell him Joe scoffs causing us to laugh.

"Did your parents come?" Joe asks. I have a complicated relationship with them, both of parents are verbally abusive and I moved out when I was 16, but then again their my parents and I love them.

"I asked them to, but they didn't want to see me waste away my life with pointless dreams," I say shrugging my shoulders.

Joe looks at me sadly and hugs me, I look at the time. "I have to go get ready for my short program, met me after the podium?" I ask letting go of Joe.

"Yup I will see you their good luck on your short," I nod and thank him. "Good luck Athena," Kit tells me. I smile at him and head into the locker room.

 I smile at him and head into the locker room