Chapter 18: Back at the Apartment

Sadie and Mitchell arrived back at the apartment in such exhaustion. Sadie went straight to the bathroom to shower and Mitchell went to the couch, getting in sweats and a new T-shirt. He pulled out his laptop and began going through his work. After the shower, Sadie got in cotton pajama bottoms and one of Jess's sweatshirts before joining Mitchell on the couch. Mitchell closed his laptop and said, "So Bug, you really like this girl?" Sadie nervously nodded. Mitchell waited for her to say more. "Um...yeah. She uh...I really love her, Mitchell." Mitchell raised an eyebrow saying, "Wow, Sadie. Loveee?" Sadie threw a pillow at him and said, "Yes, stupid. You wouldn't know what love is." Mitchell chuckled to himself upon catching the pillow. "I'm playing, I'm playing. How are you doing though? This is really fucked up." Sadie said, "I'm exhausted. It feels like I'm hiding from everything all while my world is falling apart." She looked at the coffee table, "I mean, I've always felt eyes watching me. My whole life. But this?" She motioned around her. "This is a whole nother level. I feel like I have to hide from my phone. I don't even want to text my friends back right now." Mitchell said, "I know. It's really hard. And I can't imagine what you're going through..." Sadie responded with a bit of anger, "Maybe the shittiest thing about this is that the one person who might be able to relate to me right now, is in the damn hospital bed!" Her brow furrowed and she felt her tears welling up again.

Mitchell scooted closer to Sadie and engulfed her in a hug as she cried into him. "I'm sorry, Mitch." Mitchell held her head and said, "Don't apologize. I'm here, I'm here." They sat there for a while, hurting with one another. Finally, Sadie cut the silence and said, "I'm gonna go to bed. I'm exhausted." Mitchell gave her another tight squeeze and said, "Okay. I'll make you some pancakes and strawberries tomorrow like Mom used to—vegan, I know. I know. And then we'll head back to the hospital, okay?" Sadie did her best to smile and said, "Okay. Thanks, Mitch."

Sadie made her way to the bedroom and laid down in the bed, underneath the covers. She let out a big sigh and tried to calm her thoughts. And even though her mind continued to race, her body could no longer hold on and she drifted off to sleep.

Sadie awoke to the smell of pancakes and looked out her window at the sun shining in. She smiled to herself, realizing it must have all been a bad dream. She went to the bathroom and quickly hopped in the shower, grateful that Jess must have gotten up earlier to make her food. She smiled to herself, grateful for her girlfriend.