Chapter 2: The Table Read

By the time the day of the Table Read came along, Jessie was exhausted. She had taken a red-eye to Atlanta after wrapping a short film the night before. She really only had time to check in and sleep for a few hours at the hotel before a car came to pick her up. She had only paid for the night because she felt bad showing up at 4 AM to her apartment. She decided to take the time in the car to power nap but when she arrived, she was still pretty tired. She greeted the Duffer Brothers and they introduced her to some of the crew. After a few friendly hellos, she asked if she could nap a little while longer in a break room since she was early. A crew member showed her to the break room and she laid down on a chair with her feet resting on her backpack. She was asleep before she could even count to ten.

She abruptly awoke to what sounded like a bunch of miniature explosions and yelling which prompted her to fall out of the chair. "Congrats on joining the cast!" She looked up groggily and shook her head with a smile on her face. Most of her new cast mates stood there with just-popped party poppers and hats on, Finn Wolfhard with his camera zoomed in on her once bewildered face. Finn helped her up, laughing and saying, "Wow. Use that energy when we're filming okay? Loved it." She laughed and went in for a hug saying, "It's good to see you again. I wasn't sure if I ever would!" He said, "You too! But I knew after that first read, you'd get the part. You were made for Katie." Katie was the name of her character in Stranger Things—the girl who joins the gang to save Hawkins. Jessie smiled and said, "Finn, you're a sweetheart. Now introduce me to my new best friends!" Finn chuckled and said, "Gladly." Jess went around hugging and shaking hands with everyone. Soon after, a Production Assistant came in to inform everyone the table read would be starting in the next 15 minutes. Little by little, the group funneled their way to the main room.

Jessie took her designated seat in between Maya Hawke and Sadie Sink. Sadie turned to Jessie and said, "Hey Jess. I know we didn't really meet back at your little welcome celebration but just wanted to say goodluck today. We're lucky to have you, table-buddy." Jessie smiled, her cheeks rosy. She whispered, "Look who's talking. I'm the one that's lucky to have all of you guys!" Sadie smiled and shook her head. "Don't sell yourself short. I've seen your work, Jordyn. You're good." Jess rolled her eyes and said, "Whatever you say, Sink." Jess tried to hide her blushing face. She stole a quick glance at the red-head's face, taking in her natural beauty for a split second. Maya elbowed Jessie and she quickly turned to her. Maya whispered, "How long has it been?" Jessie said, "Yeah, I don't know, dude. Two years?" Maya responded, "All I know is that it's been too long since I've seen you." before engulfing Jessie in a bear hug. Maya was the only one that Jessie had previously worked with when they had filmed a mini indie film. It was nice that Jess had some familiarity.