Chapter 8: The Park

By the time she had made it to the park, she realized how faulty her plan was. She had no idea where she would be and the place was huge. She smacked herself in the forehead just before she got a notification from Millie. It was a screenshot showing Sadie's location and a message saying, "don't tell her i told you but i knew you wouldn't be able to find her without this". Jess responded with a bunch of hearts and made her way to the ampitheater.

She let out a sigh of relief when she found Sadie looking at the pond, leaning on her arms behind her. Jess quietly walked down the steps and quickly said, "Boo!" which prompted a muffled shriek from the girl. She rolled her eyes when she saw it had been Jess. Jess laughed and said, "Sorry, I had to. Perfect opportunity." Sadie shook her head and stared back at the pond. She said, "How'd you find me?" Jess sat down, taking the same position Sadie had been in, leaning backwards on her arms. She said, "What can I say? I know you." Sadie crossed her arms, brows furrowed. She said, "Who sent you my location?" Jess sheepishly said, "Um...Millie." Sadie said, "Offf course she did." Jess smiled and continued to look at Sadie while she refused to look back. After sitting in silence for a while, Jess couldn't help herself. She said, "Okay, Sades. So what's goin' on?" Sadie continued to face forward but she glanced at Jess. Jess said, "Okay. If you really want me to leave then just say the words and I'll find an Uber back." Sadie didn't say anything. Jess said, "Well okay. Then I'll give you some options. A. I can just sit here with you in silence which is perfectly fine. B. I can ask you questions and all you have to do is answer. Or C. You just talk and I'll listen. I don't have to say a word." Jess continued to look at her. Finally, Saadie let out a deep breath and said, "C." Jess said, "Alright. I'm all ears." She looked out at the pond that Sadie was so invested in and waited to hear what Sadie had to say.

"Okay. I just don't even know what to think. It is so weird. So weird. I've known you for what? Not even 48 hours but like I feel like I know you. Like really know you. And I'm out here trying to convince myself, maybe it's because I know her characters, her acting style. All of that but I feel like I knew you when Noah demanded we all watch some of your films and stuff. And I don't ever get star studded really but for some reason I was like so nervous to meet you. And I'm just not like that. And last night was so much fun. More fun than I've had in a while." Jess raised her eyebrows, genuinely surprised at what was being said. Sadie continued, "And I felt like I could be myself for once because you were so honest about your friend and your sexuality and it was so easy to bring down my walls with you but then today, I just was so...I don't know. Frustrated? I just didn't know what to do with myself. And maybe it's just that I've been so confused ever since I recently started to admit to my close friends and family that I'm bi and holy shit, I can't believe I said that so casually to you but see? It's so easy for me to be honest with you, it's scary. And this isn't me trying to tell you to date me or anything because I don't want to ruin the friendship that we've literally just started and it would be such a hellstorm to figure out as castmates and then to admit to the media for both of us and would that ruin our onscreen chemistry as friends because I'm scared I wouldn't look at you as friends onscreen but shit, shit shit. I'm not saying I like you. I hardly know you but I still know you and ah! Just okay, maybe I do have some feelings for you but I can figure it out and easily push them down and holy crap I can't believe I just said that out loud and to you, of all people. I haven't even talked to Mitchell-my brother-about this." She threw her head into her hands in frustration and Jess tried hard not to laugh.

Jess said, "Wow. That is a lot. You've really been thinking about this, huh?" Sadie looked up, almost looking as though she were physically in pain. Jess said, "Okay. Is it nice to at least get that off your chest?" Sadie nodded and looked back at the pond. Jess continued. "Okay Sades." She stood up and stretched her back. Sadie said, "'Okay'? That's it?" She was standing too, pretty much eye level with Jess. Jess shrugged and said, "What do you want me to say?" Sadie said exasperated, "I don't know! Anything other than that please." Jess said, "Okay. You want to know a secret?" "I guess?" "How weirded out would you be if I told you that ever since I saw you in season 4, you were like top 5 on my celebrity crush list." "I know that should be a compliment but after what I just said, I somehow feel offended." Jess laughed and said, "You didn't let me finish...And after meeting you and getting to know just a little bit of Sadie Sink, you easily have become my number 1 in just a day." Sadie was speechless. Jess continued, "Now from the looks of it, you need ice cream and the pro to running all the way here is that I spotted a vegan ice cream place. Wanna go?" She reached out her hand and Sadie gladly took it as they started to walk in the other direction.