Chapter 7

George came home after five month in Hamburg.

“I got thrown out, because I was underage!” he told me when he came back. He had changed. He looked more mature, and he was more beautiful than ever, I thought.

“How was the Reeperbahn?” I asked interested, although I already knew a thing or two about ‘the naughtiest city’ in the world.

“Eeh, it was okay. Really exiting – you know, all the gangsters and transvestites” he said and took a slurp of his beer.

“And the hookers?” I asked and looked him in the eyes. I was scared if he would tell me something unpleasant, but he didn’t.

“And the hookers? What about them?” He said and looked into my eyes.

”Were they any good?” I couldn’t resist asking.  He furrowed his eyebrows.

“Rosie, do you think I shagged them?” I suddenly felt that I started to blush. “Well, I didn’t do anything with them. Really”, he said without blinking.

“I just thought, that because there were so many, and you hadn’t tried it before, it was quite interesting for you and that you…you know…did it”. I looked down at the table. George took my hand and dragged me out of the café. He pulled me up in front of a stone wall and kissed me intensely. It was the best kiss I ever had in my life, and I knew George loved me. He told me that all the way back home to Speke.

All was back to normal again. Paul and Pete Best came back a few days after. They had also been thrown out of Germany, because – for a boyish prank – they had set fire to a condom, and the owner of the club had told the German police that they had tried to burn down the club. So they too eventually also got home, and that pleased George. John came back a week or two later, and told us that Stu was staying in Germany with Astrid.

“He really means it, he’s gonna bloody marry her!” he told us with a grin.

One rainy afternoon I met up with Cynthia. We had been together almost every day since the boys were in Germany, but now that they were back, we hadn’t really seen much of each other. She sat in the corner of the café when I entered. She had a sad smile on her face, but when she saw me, she got on a wry smile. Cynthia and I were best friends, and I could see when she wasn’t happy, and the other way around.

“Okay, what’s the matter?” I asked as I sat down at the table.

“John”, she sighed and continued. “He isn’t the same anymore”. A tear rolled down one of her cheeks.

“I know, George too. What did Germany do to them?” I said lightly grinning, making Cynthia smile a little. Then she became serious.

“I spoke to John yesterday…he said something...about George…” Cynthia said and looked into my eyes. “As your best friend, I think it is me duty to tell you, what he said”, she said and took a deep breath. I nodded knowing that I was to hear an unpleasant thing about my boyfriend George.

As I locked myself in our front door, tears started streaming down my cheeks. How could George lie to me? Why didn’t he tell me the truth? How could he hurt me like that? I didn’t get much sleep that night. 

I woke up around 7:30 the following morning. I took a quick shower, got dressed, and made me some breakfast. I had to confront George with it, so around noon, after doing nothing all morning but sob, I went over to George’s house.               

 I rang the bell, and Mrs. Harrison opened the door.

“Rosie!  Haven’t seen you for a while. How are you luv’?” she asked me as she gave me a friendly hug.

“I’m fine at the moment”, I lied and asked if George were up.

”Yes, he’s sittin’ in the garden, come on in”, she said and made a gesture with her hand for me to come in. George were sitting outside in a sun chair, playing his guitar.

“Rosie! Hello luv’”, he said as he saw me.

“Can we go for a walk?” I asked and turned around, not waiting for an answer. George put his guitar down and leaned it up the stonewall which separated their garden from their neighbors. He followed me out of the Harrison house and down the road into the park.

We sat down on the bench in the park. The one we had been sitting on a thousand of times before. George looked at me and furrowed his eyebrows.

“What’s the matter Rosalie? You haven’t said something to me yet”. I looked up from the ground and into his dark eyes. I could suddenly feel a lump in my throat, and my eyes filled with water.

“How could you do it to me?” I said and wept the tears that were streaming down my cheeks away. George still had his eyebrows furrowed.

“What? What did I do to you?” he asked and moved closer to me.

“I know about Hamburg! I know about that girl you shagged!” I yelled at him. George was about to deny it, but then he changed his mind.

“Rosie, I’m so so so sorry. I really am. I was drunk and I felt terrible the next day. I didn’t want you to know, cus’ I knew it would hurt you and…” he stopped apologising. I looked at him, blurry eyed from the tears in my eyes.

“Rosalie, I really love you. You have to believe me! I love you to death!” he said and I could see he was about to cry, but he didn’t.

“George, I love you too, but I am terribly mad at you!” I said and looked into his eyes. He nodded understandable. I continued, still looking into his eyes. He looked at me. His eyes had this sad look, which I hadn’t seen before. I could see he was sorry. 

“George, I think we have to take a break. At least I need to…but you have to remember, that I still love you”, I said and stood up. “I’ll see you around” I said before walking out of the park leaving George behind, sitting on the bench.

The days past by without me, seeing George. Mainly because I didn’t leave my house much. I didn’t get much sleep at night, because all I could think about was George.    

I was scared to face George, to see that all was back to normal, or to see him with other girls. I loved George. I really did. He was my first love, and he had hurt me. Sleeping with another girl, although he was drunk.

Did I overreact? No…At least, I didn’t think so