My head is dizzy from blood lost. I'm clearly out of my wits.

Taking some into my mouth, I let the taste sit on my tongue.

It's more sour than sweet, but the aftertaste of the notes are floral. "It's interesting."

"It's an acquired taste, but you learn to appreciate it."

I nod, taking another mouthful.

She begins to eat again, heartily. "We have a big day tomorrow. I think you you'll benefit from a decent supper. Aya isn't a morning person."

"Aya?"

"Our cook."

I chuckle, glancing around the deck, surprised this Bastian is the only person still manning his post. "And what is in store tomorrow?"

"We have an island to reach. Even with you aboard, our shipment waits for no man. If we're late, they will expire in the heat."

"I see. Will I be present for these trades or watch from the iron bars in my prison?" I ask pointedly, grabbing a fork. The meat is tender, slicing easily under the blade.

"You will join us." She shrugs. "Like I said before, I've seen the light. I see no use for chains. There's nowhere to escape anyway." Grinning, she stands, graceful, dreamy in her movements as she approaches the edge of the deck. "Besides, I think you'll eventually, like the rest of us, find the beauty in our life."

"What do you hope to accomplish by that?"

"Immunity... perhaps." She grips the edge of the rails, her pointed nails grazing the wood. "I think there's a lot you've been told about us—but you have yet to see it. It's not so bloody. We reserve our anger for moments when it's needed."

"I find that hard to believe given your reputation."

She bites down on her vibrantly red lip. "We'll just have to see, won't we?"

Bending over, she grabs her goblet, drinking as I finally dig into the food. The berries are fresh, the cheese smoothly churned. She watches me without saying a word for quite some time, just drinking, sometimes glancing up at her right-hand manning the helm.

She's hiding something behind those eyes—some purpose for keeping me close, I know it.

"Tell me about you," she says, crossing her ankles comfortably.

"I'd rather not."

She smiles. "I insist."

I scoff, placing my utensils down. "What do you want to know?"

"I want to know of your family—the ones who sent you here to kill me."

I purse my mouth, contemplating that. "No."

Her brows soar upward as I stand, grabbing my cup as well. Surprisingly, she remains quiet.

"I'm in no need of seeing the beauty in your life, Siren. Nor need I embellish my lineage to you. I am a prince. Your mind games will not work on me."

"Mind games?"

"Yes, your long looks. Your inviting smiles. I am not so easily moved."

Her predatory gaze slims, anger touching the bridge of her delicate nose. My eyes snake down her features as she cocks her head upwards to pin me with contempt.

"You really don't want me?"

"No."

She sets down her goblet, breathing in deeply, beginning to circle me. She reeks of iris, the scent of desire. It emanates from her as if it's seeping from her pores, as if she's made of the rare flora. Illuminated by the galaxies hanging above our heads and the fire lighting our partially touched place settings, she slows in her prowl, approaching me gradually.

She's radiant—as any mythical creature is foretold to be.

The look in her eyes steal the hatred lodged in my chest, all common sense.

She must be a witch, some sea creature with the power to weaken.

I drop my eyes from her, refusing to give her the satisfaction of my craving.

"We can hate each other, Commander, and still acknowledge facts," she breathes as I feel like walls are closing in around me.

"Facts?"

"You felt it in Belmur. Your gaze is just as steady on me now as it was then."

"So is yours."

She smiles, tilting her head coyly. "I like looking at beautiful things."

She's close enough to take my mouth if she desired to. Finding it hard to tear my eyes from her face, besieged by her spell, I'm transfixed on her lips, parted and full, waiting to be claimed.

This is dangerous. Reckless. Ridiculous.

Just as easily as she ignited my senses, they're dulled by my own common sense.

Two can play at her game.

"And if I said I wanted you? What would happen, Vivian?"

She's not used to that. To me saying her name.

"Whatever we want," she says, not used to losing the conversation.

"What would this arrangement be then?" I risk losing my hands, placing them upon her jaw, finding her muscles taut as I lean in close. "Fight a war during the day... fuck by night?"

Her smoldering gaze deepens. I hear her breath catch.

I'm surprised her man hasn't jumped from the helm to beat me yet.

My thumb traces the bottom of her lip, finding it as soft as a pedal. Her cheeks are rougher, bronzed by the harsh sun.

My lips begin to curve upward. "You're used to getting what you want, aren't you?"

The hunger in her gaze slips away beat by beat as she sees in my eyes what I wish to show her.

I am not a game, some imbecile she can toy with.

She scoffs, looking impressed, tearing my hands from her face.

I grab the drink, taking it down in one swoop, fixing her with an intense look of warning. "Sorry to disappoint you, siren."

I'm walking away towards my cell when I hear her curse under her breath, beginning to laugh.

God, she's fucking mad.

A/N: hope you guys are liking it so far! We've got a lot coming! <3