Chapter 16

"You boys know this is a trap," Shura murmured as they approached the building that housed the gym.
               "That's likely..." Ed began.
               Al finished his brothers thought, "...but he'll kill Shiemi if we don't go."
             "Don't forget Mephisto," Yukio chimed in.
             "Eeehhh..."
             "Hush, Brother," Al scolded Ed, "Of course, we need to save...Mephisto...too..."
             Rin was sure if Al had eyeballs, he would be rolling his eyes. But he was distracted by  the commotion in front of the door. A large magic circle had been painted on the pavement and rancid black smoke was billowing out of it until a large, cat-like demon spilled out. Everyone screeched to a halt, Ed and Yukio cursing at the same time.
              "Why would he do this if he wants to meet us?!" Al questioned as they demon glared at them, multiple tails swishing back and forth as it sized them up.
              "Maybe to eliminate any unwanted company," Shura said, "At any rate...Devour the Seven Princesses..."
              She was drawing the purple katana from between her breasts. Ed and Al were dumbfounded. "Um..." Al began.
              And Ed finished, "Did she just...pull that...from her...?"
              "Yup," Rin replied.
             "Stop gawking and get going! I'll take care of Leo here," she fixed Ed and Rin with a very somber look, "And Ed, Rin?"
             "Yeah?"
             "If shit really gets nasty...leave it to Al, will yah?"
             They both grumbled at her, while Al chuckled, before they all took off towards the back entrance, the sounds of the ensuing battle behind them. "Your teachers pretty badass, babe," Ed admitted, as the four of them thundered down the hall.
              "What's with the pet names all of a sudden?" Al asked in disgust.
              "Well, Al—" Ed was interrupted by an explosion of hobgoblins right between them and the door to the gym.
              Before the flying demons reached them, they were blasted to bits one by one. All eyes turned to Yukio who held up both pistols. Another volley surged at them and he continued firing, crying, "You guys go! I'll cover you!"
              "Right. Thanks, Yukio," Ed said.
              "You got this, man," Rin thumped his brother on the shoulder before he and the Elrics dodged still flying hobgoblin guts and ducked through the doors.
             The gym was startlingly still. The gaping space seemed to swallow them up, and their eyes were immediately drawn to the lone figure on the other end of the room—Harada.
             "Boys!" he greeted them, "I was so hoping you got my message!"
             "We almost missed it," Ed admitted. He had to shout to be heard, "Good thing we didn't or we would have missed out on your surprises out there."
            "Sorry about those, but I needed the three of you to come alone,"
            "You knew that Yukio and Miss Kirigakure would be with us? And that they would take the fall?" Al asked.
            "Thebes did. He's very wise. He even summoned those familiars for me—I'm not a Tamer Meister, see?"
            "Wow, the demon befriended other demons," Ed droned, sarcastically, "Surprise, surprise."
            "He's not—!" Harada stopped himself and took a deep breath, "We've been over this too many times. And as you boys are clearly here to kill me, not admit defeat, I say we skip the pleasantries."
            "We don't want to kill you, Harada, but we will stop you if you don't listen to reason,"
            Rin crossed his arms over his chest, "Al and Ed are a little more merciful than me. You better listen to them, cause if it comes down to you and me, I will toast you!"
            Harada chuckled, "I don't doubt that, Son of Satan. But will you be able to reach me?"
            "Reach you?" Al echoed.
           "Well, yes, see as I said, only one of us can remain—" Harada sliced his hand and held it out in front of him, "—and I intend for it to be me."
           "Guys..." Ed was gazing at the floor. Rin and Al followed his gaze to the polished wood floor where a giant magic circle was drawn reaching from them all the way to Harada.
           "Uh-oh,"
           "Shit,"