Chapter 7

The golden glow of the afternoon sun bathed every inch of True Cross Academy Town. But the figure nearing the edge of campus didn't seem to mind that he was totally exposed.
          Mephistopheles wasn't one to lurk in the shadows anyway.
          He swung his umbrella back and forth as he reached the very corner of his campus. Nothing would have seemed out of the ordinary if it wasn't for the vibrations rippling through the otherwise invisible barrier as the shapeless cloud of smoke before him crashed into it again and again.
         "Afternoon, Thebes," Mephisto sang, "How are you?"
        "I would be better if I could roam your school..." the other demon said, his voice echoing unnaturally, "...so many fragile young souls."
        "Why, that's why I'm here, my darling brother!"
        "What are you on about this time?"
        "I had two boys step onto my campus this morning, Edward and Alphonse Elric,"
        "Yesss, I sensed them. Their brokenness. Their desire to be whole,"
        "Good," Mephisto gave a dark grin, "I want you to kill them for me."
        "I'd love to, brother. But your barrier—"
        "Eins...zwei...drei!" Mephisto sang. A magic circle appeared on the barrier between them, before burning away. "That should do the trick, and to sweeten the deal, I offer you something else," Mephisto continued.
        "What?"
        "A chance to drag our youngest brother back to Gehenna and take the credit,"
       "Excellent," Thebes hissed, "I'll start immediately."

       Ed awoke the next morning to loud beeping. He opened one eye and looked over at Yukio's bed, seeing the other boy begin to shift before reaching over and turning off the alarm. "Never heard an alarm like that before," Ed commented, making Yukio start.
       "Oh, yeah?" was all he said as he got out of bed, giving Ed the same odd look he had the night before.
       Ed knew what he was thinking. When he and Rin had brought the brothers back to their dorm, they touted the fact that they had the whole building to themselves, so the four of them would have plenty of space. Yet Ed still squeezed in with Rin and Al had hung out in the room for half the night too, making the one room quite crowded.
      "I'm taking a shower. You two better start moving too," Yukio said before leaving.
      Ed turned his attention to Rin, who was somehow still out cold. He was sprawled across Ed's chest, their limbs all in a tangle and of course, Rin's tail wrapped around Ed's metal leg again. Ed peppered Rin's face with kisses, "Time to get up."
      Rin just groaned and shifted. Ed nibbled on one pointed ear, saying out the side of his mouth, "Come on, babe."
       Suddenly Rin was wide awake, "Did you just call me babe?"
       He sat up just enough to look Ed in the eyes. The latter turned red, "Yeah, is that okay?"
          Rin seemed to think for a moment before saying, "Yeah, that's okay...I like it actually."
          "Okay..."
         Rin untangled himself and jumped out of bed, asking excitedly, "Maybe today we can have that talk at some point?"
        Just mention of this talk had Ed's hands trembling, "Yeah, maybe...Al and I wanted to start researching today so we might be really busy."
       Rin looked disappointed, but gave him a fangy grin, "We'll try though?"
       "Definitely,"
       The boys got ready together, talking about other things, then headed to the dining hall. It was empty of course except for Al and a strange creature who stood at the window to the kitchen with three plates of breakfast. "Morning, Ukobach!" Rin said, "Morning, Al. How was your night?"
        "It was okay. Ukobach and I kept each other company...but I can't understand him really,"
        Rin and the demon exchanged a few words, the creature chirping at the boy and Rin seeming to understand. After a moment, he jumped, "Oh, he really doesn't like you, man!"
       "What?! Why?!" Al cried.
       Ukobach chirped at Rin a bit more. "He says he kept offering you food and you kept turning it down?"
       "Rin, I don't eat! It all looked delicious but I had to turn it down!"
       "Doesn't matter, dude. Stove spirits are really touchy about their food,"
       "I. Can. Not. Physically. Eat,"
       Ukobach chirped more angrily now. Ed surged forward to defend his brother, "I don't know what you're saying, you little...goat...thing...but you have crossed a line! You think he wants—"
       Rin stuck out his arm, "Ed, let me handle this. He will cook you if you piss him off. The only reason he didn't cook Al is because he'd break teeth," then turning to the stove spirit, "Chillax, man. We've talked about this...I know, but—"
       He was interrupted by Yukio walking in holding up his cell phone, "Good, you're up. Guess who I just got a call from?"
       "Um..."
       "Someone's back at True Cross and is really excited to continue your training,"
       "Oh, crap,"
       "What are you training for, Rin?" Al asked.
       Rin didn't speak, just gave them both pained looks. Ed felt like the floor had dissolved from under his feet, "Rin?"