Chapter 9

Rin yelped as he landed hard on his back. Al peered down at him, "You know, you're really bad at this, Rin."
           "Thanks, man," he grunted.
           "No problem,"
           "That was sarcasm,"
           "Oh,"
           "Shura...?" Yukio came up behind the elder exorcist, "What are you doing?"
            "I'm taking a break," Shura answered as she took a sip from what Yukio hoped was a soda can, as it was barely noon, "I'm supervising, while Al takes a turn training Rin—Get your lazy ass up and go again!"
             "Alright, alright!" Rin slowly climbed to his feet, while Al waited, patiently.
             When he was standing, the other boy took a fighting stance, "Whenever you're ready."
              Rin took a deep breath, shook his limbs, and took a similar stance, "This time I'm gonna beat your ass, Al, watch me."
              Five seconds later, he was on his back again.
              "Oh, come on!" Shura cried, "How many times are you gonna let him slap you around?!"
              "I'm not letting him!"
              "Kinda feels like you're letting me," Al laughed.
              "Yeah, well—no one asked you,"
              Rin was standing again. "So is it this time you're going to beat my ass?" Al teased.
              "Ah, shut up!"
              Bam! he landed on his back.
              "You know, I'm getting bored of watching you lose, Okumura...Al, are you getting bored? Maybe I'll give you both weapons..."
              "I like the idea of weapons!" Al commented.
              "If I just had my sword—"
              "Nuh-uh, not happening. How would your boyfriend feel if he came back to see you melted his brother?!"
              "How would Ed feel?!" Al cried, indignantly, "How about how I would feel?!"
              "You gotta learn to fight without using the sword," Shura finished, "Now, go again."
              With that, she had started talking to Yukio. "She doesn't know you used your sword in Amestris?" Al asked, quietly.
              "Strictly speaking I'm not supposed to be drawing it. I burned up an entire forest—that's how this whole sticky mess started. Supposedly, I can't be trusted,"
               "Oh...Well, for what it's worth, I trust you. You seemed to control your power really well back in Amestris,"
              "Thanks, man—and that wasn't sarcasm this time,"
              "Ladies! Are we chatting or sparring?!  Come on!" Shura snapped, fixing her attention back on them.
              "Man, she is such a hardass," Rin grumbled, as they began again.
              "She does seem pretty harsh," Al admitted, lithely dodging his fist, "She's nothing compared to me and Brother's teacher though."
              "What were they like?" Rin asked, barely blocking a blow.
              "She started out by leaving us on a desert island for a month..."
              "That sounds like child abuse—Yipe!" Rin yelped as Al swept his legs out from under him.
              "So that's Rin—zero, Al—how many?" Shura commented.
              "Ah, piss off!" Rin cried, while Al laughed.
               After a few more runs, that included Shura giving them each a wooden sword, Shiemi appeared in the doorway, just for Rin to come flying at her. As the girl shrieked, Rin smacked against the blue-mat covered wall and dropped to the floor, followed by Al crying, "Ugh! It's like you wanted me to throw you!"
               Rin jumped to his feet, "You didn't need to throw me that hard!"
               "I tossed you as gently as I can. You wanna see how far I can throw you!?"
              "Careful, Rin," Shura mused from where she sat, "I think the Iron Giant is getting testy..."
              Al cooled off immediately as he began, "Oh, actually, ma'am, I'm not made of iron. This is—"
             "I know, hun. I was just...never mind," Shura shook her head, "Go again."
             "No!"
             "Excuse me?"
             "I give up. I can't do it. He—He's too big!"
             Shura jumped up and snatched Rin's wooden sword, "It's not his size that matters, Rin. Watch!"
             Al was almost through saying, "I am not that bi—Whoa!"
            The next second, his head bounced past Rin and Shiemi, "Rin, help!"
             Al's head rolled and halted at Shiemi's feet. "Hi Mr. Elric!" she beamed.
              If Rin hadn't known better he would think he could see Al blushing, "H-Hi...Shiemi, right?"
              Shiemi picked his head up and held it at eye level, "Uh-huh. Here."
             She brought his head to his body. Al reached out to take it, but Shiemi was already standing on her tip toes and saying, "Crouch down."
             "Oh...okay," he crouched slightly and she set his head back on. Al straightened back up and adjusted it, "Thank you."
            "Sure,"
            "What are you doing here, Shiemi?" Rin asked after a moment, as Al had been mysteriously rendered speechless.
            "You must have lost track of time. It's lunch time. Me and the others were going to eat together in the courtyard and I volunteered to come get you two. Yuki and the other Mr. Elric are already there,"
            "Sounds good. We'll be there in a sec," Rin said.
            "And you don't have to call me and Ed Mr. Elric, okay?"
            "Really?"
             Shiemi's green eyes had gone wide and her cheeks dusted pink. Rin hadn't needed to use his flames after all, as Al practically melted on the spot by himself, "Gee, I've never had anyone call me Mr Elric. You can just call me Alphonse or Al if you want. And I'll call you Shiemi if that's okay."
               Shiemi nearly exploded, "Okay...great...that'll be fine..." She recollected herself before heading out the door, "I'll see you soon then, Rin...Alphonse."
               Al might as well have been a puddle of molten metal on the floor, especially after hearing her say his name. "Okay," he murmured to no one since he was a few seconds late and she was already gone.
              It was just Shura and Rin standing there, staring. "What in the hell did we just watch?" Shura asked.
              "I think Al's in love," Rin murmured.
              "Oh, shut up, I just met her!"
              "It's a shame though," Rin continued, ignoring him, "I know a sexy toaster oven I was gonna set you up with."
              "Shut up," Al said again, but he was laughing.