Chapter 3: Meeting Dr. John Watson

Start from the beginning

John (pointing to Ella's notepad on her lap): You just wrote, "Still has trust issues."

Ella: And you read my writing upside down. D'you see what I mean?

(John smiles awkwardly.)

Ella: John, you're a soldier, and it's gonna take you a while to adjust to civilian life, and writing a blog about everything that happens to you will honestly help you.

(John gazes back at her, his face full of despair.)

John: Nothing happens to me.

(OCTOBER 12TH. A well-dressed middle-aged businessman walks across the concourse of a busy London railway station talking into his mobile phone.)

Sir. Jeffrey: What d'you mean, there's no ruddy car?

(His secretary is at his office talking into her phone as she walks across the room.)

Helen: He went to Waterloo. I'm sorry. Get a cab.

Sir. Jeffrey: I never get cabs.

(Helen looks around furtively to make sure that nobody is within earshot, then speaks quietly into the phone.)

Helen: I love you.

Sir. Jeffrey (suggestively): When?

Helen (giggling): Get a cab!

(Smiling as he hangs up, Sir Jeffrey looks around for the cab rank.)

(Some unspecified time later, sitting on the floor by the window of what appears to be an office many stories above ground, Sir Jeffrey unscrews the lid of a small glass bottle that contains three large capsules. Tipping one out, he stares ahead of himself wide-eyed and afraid and puts the capsule into his mouth. Later, he is writhing on the floor in agony. We can now see that the office in which his dying body is lying is empty of furniture.)

(POLICE PRESS CONFERENCE. Flanked by a police officer and another man who may be her solicitor or a family member, Sir Jeffrey's wife is sitting at a table making a statement to the press.)

Margaret Patterson (tearfully as she reads from her statement): My husband was a happy man who lived life to the full. He loved his family and his work - and that he should have taken his own life in this way is a mystery and a shock to all who knew him.

(Standing at one side of the room, Helen tries to keep control of her feelings but eventually closes her eyes and lets the tears roll down her face.)

(NOVEMBER 26TH. Two boys in their late teens are running down a street at night in the pouring rain. Gary has opened a fold-up umbrella and is trying to keep it under control in the wind, while Jimmy has his jacket pulled up over his head. He calls out in triumph when a black cab approaches with its yellow sign lit to show that it is available for hire.)