"So, who's doing it?"

Edmond sighed heavily. "I will."

"No, I will." King Orsand placed his hand on the wood and pushed. 

There was a clicking sound as the wall moved slightly, showing a small crack. We pushed it open and saw a stone passage heading further into the castle. We followed along the tunnel for about a mile before a set of stairs loomed ahead of us. We climbed up, Orsand turning a small knob on the door. 

We waited, listening for anything to come toward us. There was just silence.

We peered out the door and saw that it led to an alleyway.

"Where are we?" Alastair asked.

Edmond squeezed out the small hole, hoping to not draw attention. "I think we're in town."

The rest of us followed, creeping along the alleyway walls. 

"We are in town," King Orsand said. "This is the Bull and Horn tavern."

"How old is the Bull and Horn?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. A few hundred years, I think. Maybe older?"

"So it's possible this was meant as another escape route?"

"Uh, Yeah. I think so," Orsand said. 

Edmond peered into the street, looking around. "Well, the streets are empty."

We walked along the roads, looking for signs of anyone.

"This is not normal. Could they all be hiding?"

"It's possible I guess."

I walked up to one of the businesses that lines the main street and pulled the door handle. Locked.

"Knock?" Ashley suggested.

"Yeah." I knocked on the glass door loudly. "Hello?"

We waited for anything to happen. I knocked again.

"This is Princess Elanor. If anyone is inside, please come to the door."

I watched as a door in the back of the shop cracked open. A  young girl hurried across the room to the door. 

"Is it really you?" she asked.

"Yes. I have the king and the prince with me. Can you let us in?"

"Are those things still out there?"

"Things? What things?"

"Those-those monsters! The ones that were attacking people."

"No. There's nothing out here."

"Oh thank Goddess!" she hurriedly opened the door and ushered us in, before relocking it.

"What happened, child?" King Orsand asked.

Her face dropped as she burst into tears. Five other women emerged from the room in the back of the office. Clutching one another.

"They just came out of nowhere. They were attacking everyone. Biting. There was so much blood."

"It doesn't look like anything happened outside."

"I-I don't know how. There were so many of them. We thought they got all of you. They were heading for the castle."

We jumped and turned at the sound of someone banging on the door. Andrew sighed with relief, opening the door for his warriors. 

"No! Close it!" the women screamed in terror.