Chapter 41

Getting to Moon Mist seemed like a breeze since we didn't stop off anywhere. The ride was surprisingly silent as we watched for signs of King Orsand and Edmond. A terrible feeling grew in the pit of my stomach.

"They're in Moon Mist. Something is going on at home."

"You can't be sure, Ellie."

"Your Maj...mother, I just know it."

She reached back to me and patted my arm. A sympathetic look in her eyes. She knew as well as I that the problem was in Moon Mist.

The driver slammed on the brakes and came to a screeching halt, throwing us all forward.

"What the hell!" I yelled out.

"What is that?" he asked.

We all looked through the windshield at one of the creatures. It stood in the middle of the street, covered in blood. It looked at us through narrowed eyes and let out a high-pitched shriek. I grabbed the bow and an arrow, standing up through the sunroof. The creature ran toward us as I nocked the arrow letting loose before it could reach us.

The creature fell to the ground, dead.

We all climbed out of the vehicles and slowly approached. I bent over the hideous thing, staring at it.

"It's not quite what I thought," Queen Amelia said.

"It almost looks human."

"Vampire?" Samantha asked.

"I don't think so. It's out during the day and look at the teeth," I said, pulling back the lips, "it's not just the typical fangs. The teeth are all razors."

"What is it then?"

"I'm pretty sure it's just a hellbeast."

'It looks like the things that attacked us.' Diana thought to me.

'They do?'

'Yes. We didn't know what they were either. Artemis did not know at the time either.'

'She's had millennia to figure it out, maybe she knows now?'

Diana shrugged her ethereal shoulders once again.

I pursed my lips and sighed heavily. "Okay. We don't have time to wait around. Let's do something with this and get going."

"What do we do with it?"

"I guess take it? We can't leave it here."

"Put the body in the trunk of one of the SUVs," Queen Amelia said, walking back to ours. "And not mine. I don't want to see that thing again."

We continued along the forest road until we reached the outskirts of Moon Mist. We saw the royal SUVs parked across the road, seemingly blocking anyone from going in or anyone from getting out.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"I don't know. I don't like how quiet everything is," Kyle said, climbing out of the SUV.

We walked toward the abandoned vehicles and saw nothing.

"Something had to of made them stop here."

"Princess Elanor, you're from Moon Mist, do you know the way?"

I nodded. "The town is about three miles down the road."

"I guess we're walking the rest of the way," Queen Elanor said.

"Or running? We can shift and run."

"That would probably be the best way to get there quickly."

I placed the bow on the ground and shifted before picking it up carefully in my mouth. I glanced over at Diana and saw her shift even in her ethereal form. Her fur was surprisingly similar to my own. A beautiful silver, blonde.