Prologue

Kenmare, Ireland August 2014

The black sky boiled with swollen clouds as they hung low over the craggy mountains.

A rainstorm recently swept over the town leaving behind a wispy fog that blanketed the multicolored buildings with glistening wetness.

The streets were quiet except for footsteps stumbling down a particular cobblestoned street.

A man cloaked in a hooded jacket staggered up the steps of one of the buildings. His breathing came in painful gasps. He halted at the front door.

Leaning against the building, his gloved finger shook as it pushed the doorbell.

Several moments passed before a sandy-haired man answered. His blue eyes grew wide as he studied the figure standing on his steps.

"Blessed be!" He exclaimed.

"Seamus." The hooded man slowly replied in a British accent.

A wide smile spread across Seamus' lips which quickly disappeared as he gazed more closely at the man.

"It's been what- ten years since I last saw ya, man?" Seamus frowned.

Seamus noticed liquid dripping from beneath the man's cloak, staining the cement step in scarlet.

"You're injured! Come in! Come in!"

The hooded man shook his head.

"C-can't. She's after me." He croaked. "Need to p-protect my Anna Mae! H-help, please!"

Seamus nodded as his eyes drifted to a blanketed form in the man's arms.

Funny, he hadn't noticed that before.

The man swayed forward, a sharp gasp escaped from him as he struggled to hold out his arms toward Seamus.

Seamus reached and lifted the still form from the man's shaking arms.

Her dark hair was matted and covered her face. Her clothes were soaked and smelled of urine and blood.

"Seamus, darling. Who are you talking to?"

Seamus turned to a woman who appeared to be very pregnant as she approached him.

"Lily, dotey!" He replied. "Um, remember our good friend from school?"

Lily Moon brushed the long strands of brown hair from her face as she peered around her husband.

"Friend? I don't see anyone." She said.

"What? He's standing right here--" Seamus began to point when he turned back to the doorway, and sure enough, no one was there.

He glanced down the dark street, but the man had vanished.

"Darling, what's that you're holding? " Lily asked.