• sacrifice •

Start from the beginning

You only informed her that you and Tooru are on a break and it is hard to tell when the two of you will make amends. Space is what you asked for and you can only expect that from him.

"He must be a piece of shit for not considering your feelings," your best friend angrily announced as she took a sip of her teacup. The faint smell of camomile wafted the space between you two at the miniature table once she poured more hot water from a pot.

"Don't say that about him," you lectured with a pout, although you wanted to make the same comment. Your finger traced the rim of your coffee cup that is barely untouched. "He might be in the wrong for that, but he's not wrong for thinking about Tetsu's words. He's being a good dad."

But Naomi shook her head, staring at you with wide eyes. "But aren't you his wife?!"

"You mean girlfriend?" You corrected with a quirked brow.

"Whatever, same thing," she dismissed. "Crap, if you're married to him right now, this will be a shittier situation."

"It already is," you added with a roll of your eyes, resting your head on top of your hands.

Naomi gave a sympathetic look while staring at you. "Well, I give props to you for leaving. I think that'll make him think about his actions and you're not going to stand for this."

"Yeah but... this is not the time for us to be arguing," you trailed sadly.

"Do you think you're going back?" She suddenly asked, but she corrected herself. "Do you want to?"

It didn't take much for you to conjure an answer, but you were hesitant due to the judgement by Naomi. Instead, you spoke honestly and muttered slowly, "Yeah, I do. They're my everything."

She can see that you aren't ashamed as you leaned forward with elbows propped on top of the table so you can hesitantly play with your coffee with a silver spoon. Letting your lips touch the rim, you devoured the last ounce of it and let out a brief sigh.

"How are you and Ushijima?" You suddenly asked and her shoulders tensed.

You watched her thin lips tightened at the question as she stared solely into your eyes. Her finger that is hooked at the handle of her teacup gripped tighter.

"We broke up."

Then your face froze in shock.

"What?!" You exclaimed, not expecting such awful news, "Are you okay? What happened?"

Telling by her expression, she didn't seem excited about the topic knowing that there is no pleasure or entertainment for her to share. Despite her poker face, you knew that she was hurting.

"He's not... committed in the idea of a relationship yet," Naomi sighed while her eyes wandered to a different direction in solemn and with a lazy expression. "After I saw how you and Tooru are so happy with each other, I guess I wanted the same thing. But I knew Toshi wouldn't be able to give his full effort and he told me that he isn't ready for that type of lifestyle."

You just frowned at her, although it is strange to hear someone like Naomi who is very whimsical and free-spirited could think about settling down. Considering her dating history and the amount of men she had, she must've been frustrated with the lack of commitment from them. Although, you are somewhat proud of her for setting her standards by the examples she seen through you. Weirdly, it touched you.

"I'm sorry. I thought you two would last," you watched her roll her eyes in attempt to hide the tears that were swelling.

"I thought so too," her voice quivered but she mustered up her throat to mask the hurt in her tone.