Harley sighed quietly. For some reason Luke wasn't understanding that Harley had no ties to Barry and didn't talk to Rafe the way he kept accusing her of. He didn't want to hear anything other than yes, and she didn't want to lie about being able to get him drugs or whatever he wanted.

Harley stood up and rounded the coffee table, the furthest route away from him and stepped toward the front door. "I'm really sorry, but you have the wrong idea. So, I think I should just leave before JJ comes back and hears what you're asking of me."

Harley had thought that was the end of it. She had turned her back to JJ's dad and gone for the door. She could taste her freedom and feel her escape on the tips of her fingertips, until they were aggressively stolen from her.

"You're not going anywhere," Luke spat. He grabbed her elbow and yanked her back.

Harley hadn't expected it and yelped when she almost tripped over her Converses. She tried to straighten and pull away from Mr Maybank but his grip wouldn't budge.

"I really think you should just let me go. I don't have any contact with Barry. I can't get whatever it is that you want. Rafe dealt with that stuff. I don't want to be a part of that."

Mr Maybank huffed out his annoyance. All false pretences had been wiped from his hard features. "Sure, you're kind of pretty, but my son must have you around for some other reason. He's too much of a wimp to go at it with any girl. So, that leaves the drugs, sweetheart."

Harley shivered at his implications and frowned at how he spoke about his own son. He didn't seem like a very nice dad.

"Please just let go."

Mr Maybank refused. He began to manhandle Harley. He started to rummage through her pockets, ruffling her clothes. She tried to pull away, but every time his grip got tighter. It was like having her arm stuck in a clamp. She cringed when his hands brushed over her hips and ass, his hands diving into her pockets.

"I don't have anything on me!" Harley finally yelled.

The split second of silence that followed, haunted Harley. It was like being thrusted into the dark tunnel of a roller coaster before you explode into the light, fearing for your life as you drop hundreds of feet. Only this time the explosion of light that followed this silence was coupled with a burst of pain. She hadn't been prepared for an adult to punch her, especially with such brute force.

Harley cupped her cheek in blind pain. Her eyes screwed shut as her cheekbone and jaw pulsed.

Mr Maybank growled as he rammed the air out of Harley's lungs. A surprised and sharp wheeze whistled passed her lips. Nausea rushed over her in waves, she could still feel his fist slamming into her stomach. He held Harley up against the wall, her legs unstable. Mr Maybank's hateful glare terrified her, so did the way he spoke. "Don't raise your voice at me. No wonder my son is friends with you. No manners, just like him."

Harley was nauseated further by a throbbing that started at the front of her head and slowly worked its way around to the back. She couldn't tell if it was because of the blow she had taken to the face or not.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Please, let me go." Harley quickly resorted to begging and apologising, because that's what she used to do with Rafe. Something had told her that was what she had to do then, and now she felt the same way. "Please, I'll leave and get out of your way."

The edges of Harley's sight turned to that odd swirl and blend of colour like an Edvard Munch painting. Déjà vu cunningly crept up on Harley, her mind too preoccupied from escaping JJ's violent father.

"Why? We were having a fine time before you messed it up." He was smoothing down Harley's hair now, the way a child would heavily pet a dog without an ounce of care for gentleness.