I retrieved my sneakers from beneath the bed. The uncomfortable loafers we had to wear are still in my bag, and I'm not going to take them out until I get to school.

"I thought Grandma was taking me."

"She left an hour ago while you were blasting music and acting as if you had all day to sit in front of that mirror." Mom sneered as she leaned against the doorframe. "Carlos is waiting outside."

"Great," I gleamed as I made my way down the stairs with my phone in hand and my bag in the other. "See ya!"

"Put that jacket on, Young Lady! I can almost see your underwear!" Mom shouted disapprovingly from behind me on the top of the stairs.

I giggled to myself and swayed my hips notably to annoy her even more. "I'll think about it."

"What did you say?"

"I said I love you!"

"Walk a little faster! You're an hour late."

"I have to make an entrance somehow!" I laughed and pushed on the wooden doors, where I was greeted by a familiar face.

"Woah, Ricardo? What are you doing here?"

The old man's smile was as bright as the morning sun. "Buongiorno. I will be taking you to school today."

I look around the driveway but don't see Carlos. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets when I don't spot the Range Rover, which I got the pleasure of riding in, but with the latest McLaren 765LT. Holy shit. It looks even better in real life!

"Shall we—"

I don't even wait for him to get on the driver's side when I practically march around the car with an open mouth, admiring the all-black clean finish. This is a dream supercar for most.

"This is unbelievable..." I whispered audibly, making sure I did not touch it without his permission and knowing how others feel when their cars are being touched. It's one of my pet peeves.

"How many cars do you own?" I asked, and Ricardo walks to my side, laughing to himself when he notices me almost falling back.

"Hmm, just this one, the Maybach... and a vintage car passed down from my father."

"Wow, that one must be the most valuable to you."

"It sure is." Ricardo smiled as he repositioned his hat on his head. Today, he appears more human to me, wearing a shirt (though it is still expensive) tucked into brown trousers and a pair of cowboy boots.

"What are you waiting for? Let's get going and catch eyes with this bad boy," Ricardo said as he twirled the keys around his fingers. I couldn't help but break out into a huge grin at his idea.

He's just like me, for real.

When I go to the passenger's side, Ricardo stops me. I look up in time to find him tossing the keys to me. I catch it in my hands and gape at him in disbelief. "Why...are you giving this to me?" I question him even when I already knew what he was about to say.

He tipped his hat in my direction before hopping in the passenger's seat. "Show me what you've got, little Hamilton."

I join him and duck my head with a laugh. Sparkles were practically dancing in my eyes as I drifted them around the interior while my fingers traced the intricate designs I would kill for. The small cabin was customized with a mix of soft-grain leather and faux-suede upholstery. Compared to my modified Monte Carlo, this didn't have as much leg room.