7.) I Feel Stupid

"Are you gonna be okay staying here tonight by yourself?" Nini asks nervously.

  "Yeah, I'll be fine." I shrug.

  "Before I go, I want to talk to you about something." They start.

  "If this is about practice, it's not my fault Libby missed the thorn vault. She was texting and flying." I defend.

  "No, no, it's not about that. I got a promotion." They tell me but don't sound as happy.

  "A promotion?" I ask nervously.

  "Yes! I'm now on the Board of Bards! Pretty sick, right?" They ask and sound just as nervous.

  "Yeah...I guess." I try to laugh.

  "You aren't upset, are you?" They ask.

  "Me? Upset? Nah, I'm all good. At least you aren't coven-head or something." I manage to laugh.

  "Yeah, that's great! I'll see you at the game tomorrow, alright?" They laugh too while opening the door.

  "Yeah, alright. Bye." I wave before they shut the door.

  I head straight for my room in the fairly small apartment where my schoolwork is laid out. It's all finished but Marcy is gonna look over it once I send pictures. I sit down on the floor with my back against the bed and the papers in front of me. My room in here isn't as elaborate as my room in the Owl House. I have fewer posters and fewer random trinkets.

  It's about nine PM and the gates are closed to the castle now. No one gets in or out so no escaping for now. I send all of the pictures and try to go put them back in my bag before there's a knock at the door. I leave the pile on the floor and walk out of my room to see who it is. I look and see Uncle Darius standing there tapping his foot. Perfect. I unlock the door before opening it.

  "Sup," I tell him.

  "Are you dead?" He asks.

  "I don't think so." I cross my arms.

  "Raine sent me to check on you every once in a while. I ordered you food from the dining hall, it'll be here soon." He sighs.

  "Thank you. You don't have to check on me, I'll live." I laugh.

  "Don't leave this place though. The apartment is where you stay, got it? Or else you might get chased again by Lilith." He speaks dramatically.

  "Don't worry, I'm not leaving." I sigh.

  "Good. Oh, and do your homework. That's very important." He pats my head.

  "Homework, got it." I nod.

  "Goodnight, kid. Don't get eaten by monsters." He laughs before turning around.

  "I'll try. Goodnight!" I call after him before shutting the door.

  I start walking back to my room where the sun has completely set. It doesn't really matter since my lights are anyways. My music continues to play and fills the room as I sit down with a huff. And then as soon as I manage to get comfortable on the floor to continue taking pictures for Marcy the doorbell rings again.

  "You've got to be kidding me," I mumble before standing up. I make my way quickly back to the door where I get ready to open the door. I pull it open to see Hunter standing there with a bag in his hand.

  "Hi." He says awkwardly.

  "You're here? I mean...obviously, you're here. You live here. But not here, here. You live three floors up. I think. I'm not a stalker or something." I ramble.